Baldwin baitfish

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Bad_fisherman21, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Are there any gizzard shad or skipjacks in baldwin. I caught a few shad in my castnet on saturday dunno if it was a gizzard shad or not ill take a pictire and post it next time. and also if they re are any in there can they be caught on lures? I can catch them in my castnet but took about 100 throws to get one shad....thank goodness they were pretty big

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Still chilly and the shad have not come close to the edges yet. They are still pretty deep I believe. Soon I hope to be able to get some shad down there. Skipjack are not found in Baldwin... Skipjack are a type of herring I believe and are found in rivers. Never fished for them myself, as to my knowledge, it is quite a distance to go just to catch bait.

3. Bad_fisherman21

State:
    illinois
    The catching shad with a pole is just a fun way to get bait. I get minnows from shads and some other fish i cant identify and use those but catching some big shad would be nice

4. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Shad with a pole? Are you sure you do not mean bluegill?

5. Bad_fisherman21

State:
    illinois
    Well not all shad can be caught on poles. But gizzard shad(HUGE SHAD) can be and getting some of those would be nice cus there better then reguler shad just dunno if that type of shad are in baldwin.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKoS0vL5vm8..check out that link its a video of a dude catching shad I might be wrong if i am and those are some other type of fish let me know haha...:smile2::smile2::wink:

6. Bad_fisherman21

State:
    illinois
    Dont put the ...check on the end of the link my bad

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    the couple times i fished there we just caught gills around the edges with power bait.

8. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    the shad in baldwin are mostly thread fin shad ....the state used to harvest them there and take them to other lakes ..don't know if they still do or not....big artical in out door ILL. about it once a few years back.....

9. Bad_fisherman21

State:
    illinois
    I looked um up there name is hickory shad with a small dot on them. and yall are right they cant be caught on poles mostly sometimes they bite but its very unusual

10. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    winter time u can catch the big shad along the north levee just throw ur net about 15 ft off bank butwatch out for the rocks another good bait is cut channel cat and one of my new favs 2-3 day old refridgerated asian carp cut in to chunks or strips :cool2:

11. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Man... Aaron and I hit Baldwin hard Thurs and Saturday and it was some TOUGH fishing. We through everything we could... asian carp, channel, bluegill, shad, salmon, hot dogs, stink bait.. NOTHING was working. It was some of the hardest fishing I done in a long time...

Aaron did catch 2 18.5" Large Mouth bass on cut salmon though.. that was amusing! That was pretty only things worth talking about.

12. USNTWEEK

USNTWEEK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I heard someone caught a 40 pound flathead by the boat launch Saturday. I caught 7 baby channels but I agree it was slow.

13. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Yeah, bwhupp and I were launching the boat when we heard the commotion. Some guy snagged a 40# or so flathead (yes, he admitted that he snagged it) from the bank. We also saw 2 guys in a boat leaving who had one that had to be 50# or so. They claimed that they caught it on shad.

14. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    im ready to hit baldwin when i get back in a couple weeks

15. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Sounds good! Give me a holler when you get back and we will go.

16. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    I pulled my first flathead of the year out of Baldwin the first weekend in April. A small 22#er but nice to see the flats starting to get active again.

17. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    ill be hittin baldwin saturday most likely and then to kinkaid sunday for the crappies. my bud fished kinkaid last sunday and caught a 3lb 1 oz crappie. its about time. gonna hit baldwin for the first time with my new 40 horse mercury. let me tell ya my boat flies with that baby on there :smile2: