Bald Eagles

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Terry Day, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Not really catfish related but kinda neat. I live in a subdivision in Parkville, a northern suburb of KC. We have a 5 acre lake across the street that usually has a lot of Canadian Geese on it. Well, the neighbors have been harvesting some of them. That's a nice way of saying - shooting! Anyway, they apparently didn't get one of them retrieved and it is frozen in the ice. For the last four days Bald Eagles have been feeding on the carcass of the goose. I have seen two mature eagles and two juveniles. They sure are beautiful birds. It's nice to know that they are in the area! Has anyone else seen this happen? Just curious - thanks.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Haven't seen that happen but have been watching them on the Mississippi River. They sure are a beatuful bird.We are having our Eagle Days down at Clarksville,Mo this Sat and Sun down by the dam.Usually a lot of them there that weekend.Saw two today at the Saverton Dam up by Hannibal.One in flight ,one sitting in a tree. Of all times not to have a camera along.

3. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    I know what you mean about the camera. I'm glad that mine is digital! Couldn't afford the film with the number of pics I have taken in the last few days.

4. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I got the opportunity to watch an adult bald eagle take a snow goose out of the air during duck season this year. I wish i could have had a video cam. surprisingly he had to chase him all around for a long distance before he caught the goose. We do see a lot of eagles here on the river during late winter. I guess its due to Grand Pass wild life area.

5. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    What part of the state are you from? Are you on the west side with the Missouri or the east side with the Mississippi?

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    That's pretty cool... We don't have very many eagles at all, in s.e. KS. But, it's red-tailed hawk galore out here... They're pretty cool to look at, too. But not quite as neat to see flyin' in the air, as an eagle. Thanks for postin'.

-Red

7. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri

Missouri, I live about 20 min. north of Waverly.

8. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    OK! So now I have a pretty good picture that you are approximately in the middle of the state up in and around Richmond. It helps me to know the geographic area of those who post! Thanks

9. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    When I used to live in MO 13 miles south of Rolla in Edgar Springs. There was a Bald Eagle family that lived in this hollowed out tree across the dirt road from us. They are so beautiful and cool to watch. Ive seen them take out mice, squirrels, and baby kittens. They are so awsome if you could post some pics on here. I havent seen not one since I join the military and moved over here to NC.

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I live in Alton, Illinois and there are alot of bald eagles around here. I see them quite often while fishing, and of course there are always tons of people set up with cameras looking at them.

11. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    There were several of them in the Narrows between Peoria Lake and Peoria. Used to see them every morning going to work sitting up in the top of a dead snag. Have seen a couple of them down here in Arkansas during deer season too.

12. Denny H

Denny H New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A friend of mine goes out crow hunting, and will take the dead ones to the river when the ice is frozen over. At any given time in the day you can drive by and see eagles around that area when there are some fresh crows. See crows are useful....

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I saw alot of eagles while fishing this summer. It's good to see they are on the rebound again. I saw them on the Missouri river at Glasgow, and Brunswick, and Mark Twain Lake. I've tried to take some pictures, but can never quite get close enough. The pics come out with a tiny little bird way off in the distance and you can't tell what it is. Anyway, eagles are cool.

14. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    We drive 12 miles to work, partly along a graveled creek & often see eagles perched in the trees close to the road. There's a small corn field on the other side of the road & lately we've been seeing 12 to 15 deer eating there on our way home. The deer are so hungry now they're coming out early in the afternoon. Saw a bobcat once, hunting along the edge of a woods early in the morning.
    PS Terry, one of my daughters lives in 1000 Oaks, the other in Platte City.

15. Denny H

Denny H New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here's a picture of the eagles I see almost everyday. They are working very hard building the nest or keeping it up, as most trips I see them flying in with a large stick. The fish that I've been catching this winter I will take the scraps to them and leave them not far from their nest.

Attached Files:

16. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Matt, next time you go up on Mark Twain or if you can go during the early part of the crappie spawn, head up into Shell branch, you’ll want to use a trolling motor but you can go up nearly below the eagles nest and watch the feeding of the eaglets. They’re use to people in boats and you can get some awesome pictures up close, plus it‘s a good spot to catch crappie :smile2: , last year there were three eaglets… excellent picture Denny, they’re awesome birds.

17. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I left carpet1's house this afternoon about 1230 and just pulled to the stop sign on the highway and there was 2 of them. One soaring and the other sitting in a tall tree. I sat there and watched em a few minutes till the one flying lit in a tree not to far from the other one. We're up in north central Arkansas.

18. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Went out on the Mississippi on friday with 'Cuz, we put in at Plattin Rock boat club in Crystal City Mo, and saw two eagles about a mile north of the boat ramp. One was flying and the other was roosted in a tree. They are Beautiful birds.

19. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Went down to check on the river this morning ,wanting to see what the ice was doing. Was froze solid when I left couple weeks ago so was curious.Ice has broken up and floating .saw two eagles one sitting in a tree the other sitting on a slab of ice floating down stream. like it was saying the heck with flying ,I'm gonna ride. it was rather neat to watch it float down river ,not a care in the world.

20. Rootwad

Rootwad New Member

State:
    Platte City, MO
    I live on a farm north of K.C. on the Platte River. I trap on the river and other areas. I also coon hunt. I end up with a lot of critters to skin out. I have all winter between 30-50 eagles waiting for me to bring carcusses out. I have been doing this for many years. Normally I'll have 10 to 15 mature adults and the rest will be juvinilles. The eagles follow the waterfowl migration down and in the spring they head back north with the spring migration.

They sure are something to watch, aren't they!