Bald Eagles

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by wolfman, May 3, 2006.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have read an article last year that the Bald Eagle was making a comeback in the Ohio Valley and doing quite well. I actually seen one couple years ago while fishing on the Cumberland down in Tennessee. Just curious if any other members have seen any while out fishing their favorite spots?

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    I know I am not up where you are but I saw a few last year and then saw a beautiful mature male this past Sunday on High Rock Lake here in NC.
    They are such a sight to behold!

3. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    i saw one on sunday at ceasars creek, in wilmington ohio..first time i ever saw one in the wild

4. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    There happens to be a nesting pair, just a few minutes from my house. They are on state land in the Killbuck marsh/Shreve swamp area, in northeast Ohio.

also, i watched an adolescent male hunt a field this winter, in Clymer, New York

5. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I only live about 20 miles from Reelfoot (as the Eagle flies), but this year is the first time I've seen them from my house. We had a male winter over on the Obion river behind us. Saw him two - three trimes a week from Dec. thru March. If only my Grandfather could have lived long enough to see the return of deer, turkeys, and now eagles to his place. I hope my son tells stories of when he only saw one or two eagles a year.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We have lots of eagles in coastal South Carolina. There are three or four nesting pairs just along the lower Combahee River. It's also common to see them on the Cooper River in the winter and spring (while the shad are running). It's sure nice to see them coming back.

7. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    bald eagles also winter on the mississippi river. at lock and dam 17, new boston illinois i have seen as many as 32 at one time. really amazing sight. sometimes there will be a dozen sitting up high in a dead tree. as long as there is open water below the dam they will stay all winter. have seen feathers on the ground, really wanted to pick them up, but it's a federal offense.
    catwacker

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ive seen them flying around Alum Creek in Columbus

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    raptors are awesome.

i wonder why a loose feather on the ground is against the law to pick up??

10. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I keep my boat on the Maurice river here in New Jersey and this river has a large population of the Bald Eagles. The largest pop. in the State.

11. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    There are quite a few up around Marsielles, IL also. even had one fly right over my house one day, just high enough to clear it.

It's against the law to have a feather, because they don't know if you picked it up or shot one to get it. The only people that are allowed to have a whole eagle are the native Americans for their spiritual beleifs. They can't just go out and shoot one either, they have to put their name on a list and when it is their turn, they get one that has been killed accidentally or just plain died. They have to take the whole bird or they can't have any of it.

12. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I see them occassionaly in a tall snag overlooking a big pond behind my aunts house. Guess they are fishing. Report has it that there are lots of them in the bluffs overlooking the White River in Calico Rock, AR.

13. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got em at my place, lake lot. I have sit on bank and in boat many of times watching. Very cool. They nest in my area. I see them mostly in cooler times of the year.Big, full grown. Very cool.

More too it than saying cool.

God , nuff said.

14. jholman

jholman New Member

State:
    Columbus Mississippi
    I saw a nesting pair on the aliceville lake of the tenn-tom in the back of camp pratt slough. Really neat!

15. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    They are nesting and wintering at lake rathbun also it was nice to drive by the lake and see what looked like 40 or 50 scattered here and there.

16. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    theres a spot were bank fish that has apair that nest there every year.fun to watch them swoop down on a big ol carp

17. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I see them all the time around here. I have the bald eagle tattooed on both arms and have several statues of bald eagles, that is my favorite bird.
    They are sight to see.

18. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    There is a nesting pair at Rocky Fork Lake in Ohio also, I haven't seen them yet. I'm hoping to get some pics, if I do I'll post them later. :smile2:

19. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i have seen eagles and osprey both on the ohio river near madison indiana in fact theres a falcons nest on the bridge there . have seen a young eagle take a gull out of the sky in carrolton ky and an osprey take a channel cat from the river below madison . walked up under an eagle in a tree near propect ky . my dad was a falconer in his youth still remember holding red tailed hawks on my fist and huntin them with dad

20. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    There has been a pair that live on Lake Monroe in souther Indiana for about 5 years. They are a site. And i heard they had chicks this year. I can't wait to see 5-6 of them flying around, two is incredible.

And i saw a pair several times one summer on the Ohio river by my house. That was several years ago and i haven't seen them in a while.