Baked Possum

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Catgirl, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Put possum in 55 gallon drum and feed for 3 weeks (vegetables, grain, etc.).

Shoot possum between the eyes (his brain is real small, but it's around there somewhere).

Scald in 140 degree water with hickory ashes and green pine needles.

Scrape hair with mason jar lid.

Rub down liberally with salt and pepper.

Place roasting rack in pan; 1 cup water and 1/4 cup Wild Turkey in bottom of pan.

Slow cook 2 hours (medium possum); baste often.

Remove top and brown 15 minutes.

Slice and serve on sweet potatoes.

Feeds one hillbilly or 150-300 city folk. :wink:

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sounds delicious..:wink::big_smile: . Bet you won't find that recipe in the peta annual cookbook...:smile2:

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Been a lot of years, but used to eat a bunch of them. When you grew up so poor that you ate what we could shoot or catch. It was good.
    And Glad to see you include the flushing of 3 weeks before you eat.
    Also believe it or not.eating fish 7 days a week does get old.:eek:oooh:
    pete

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Is it possible to drink the wild turkey and perhaps a cheeseburger?

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Whats scrape'n yer hair with a can lid got to do with it. Does fleas jump off'n the possum or sump'n? Also do ya leave him stuffed ?:confused2:

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I BE That Hillbilly:wink::smile2:! Never had one flushed though:confused2:,just remember to eat while it's hot LOL:eek:oooh::smile2:!

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    to dress possum. remove hair as follows. bring a large pot water o boil. add two cups of wood ashes. wet possum under hot water tap and add to boiling water for 1-2 min. then scrape hair off with dull knife. slit from throat to vent and clean out iinnards. remove redish kernal glands under for legs and small of back. remove tail head and clean out any visable fat. wash and soak in heavy salted water in fridge overnight. wash and freeze or prepare.

rosted possum with apples and sweet potatoes.

needed- flour salt and ground pepper.
    tsp thyme
    1 possum dressed washed and dry.
    1/2 cup red wine
    1-1/4 cup water
    4 sweet taters peeled split lengthwise
    4 apples pared cored split
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 tsp all spice
    3/4 tsp groung cinnamon
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    mix flour salt pepper and thyme rub inside and out of animal. place on rack in roasting pan. add wine water and cover tightly and roast in oven at 350 for 1 hour.

pour off all but 1 cup liquid add potatoes in pan and cover and roast 45 min. now lay in apples amid the potatoes and sprinkle both with the sugar and spices.

roast un covered for additional 30 min untill beast is tender.

possum with yams.

1 young possum.

clove garlic sliced.
    3 tb flour
    1 tsp thyme
    salt pepper to taste
    cup broth beef
    1tb vinager
    1 tb worshtishire sauce
    4 yams peeled quartered.

take thin sharp knife and cut into legs saddle and and for shoulders. add slivers of sliced garlic clove.

with butchers twine tie front lags to back and dust with a mixtuer of flour salt pepper and thyme.

roast on rack in pan with vinager and broth basting often. 40 min to lb about 1 hr before its done parboil yams for 15 min and add to pan to roast.

roast possum and kraut

1 possum
    salt pepper
    1 tsp rosemary crumbled
    1/2 cup water 1/2 cup white wine
    3lbs sourkraut
    1 1/4erd onion
    cup beer
    2 cups chicken broth
    1/4 lb salt pork
    1tsp crushed pepper
    1tsp caraway seeds

rub animal with salt pepper rosemary
    place on roasting rack in pan and roast in 325 degree oven for 2- 2-1/2 hrs with the water and wine in pan basting occasionally.
    meanwhile wash and drain the sourkraut and boil with remaining ingreadients for 1 hr. placed drained kraut on platter around possum and serve with boiled or mashed potatoes .

they aint all that bad lol. ive had BBQ coon. as far as cheese burger. ide take the roast possum. we forgot where we came from. no mc-d's back when these recipies were being prepared.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Ok folks.You can do a suckling pig the same way!You can clean the head of either,remove the eyes and put something in the mouth if you wish when done.You normally do not have to flush a suckling pig.All wild caught pigs old enough to eat on their own,YES!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I REALLY need to go to bed, but I cannot stop laughing. I've had so much fun on here the past couple days. :smile2:

I did start this thread jokingly, because I can't really see myself eating possum. I suppose people'll eat about anything if they're hungry enough though. Opossums are just not my cup of tea; my oldest golden, I call her Possum Blossom. Can't tell ya how many that dog has killed, she used to hunt for 'em constantly, half kill 'em, and bring 'em up in the yard to die. It was awful.

Anyway, if you cook me one one of these days Jeremy, I will try it, and even forego any cheeseburgers. Honestly I do think I might have to down a couple shots of Wild Turkey first though. :eek:oooh:

OH, and I bet Dano can use some of the recipes you posted for his roadkill.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i figured the joking post lol. thats why i posted these three.:cool2:

honestly ive never ate opossum.i have had the BBQ coon. but seriously. if i had the choice in front of me of any of these three and a mcdugles value meal. ide take the opossum.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    2 muskrats jointed and floured
    6tbs oil or lard
    2 med chopped onions
    1 chopped green bell
    3 sliced carrots
    2 sliced garlic cloves
    1/4 lb sliced ham
    1 rib celery sliced
    1/4 tsp red pspper seeds
    1/4 tsp cayanne
    1 cup red wine
    1 1/2 cups tomato sauce homade is best
    3 bay leaves
    1/2 tsp thyme
    same marjoram
    2 tsp lemon juice
    3 tsp chopped parsley
    1 tsp worsh
    salt pepper to taste.
    in dutch oven sautee floured muskrat peices in oil untill brown
    add onions pepper garlic carrots when you have almost browned meat and cook untill onions are soft.

add remaining ing and simmer covered for 1-1/2 hrs or untill meat is tender.

if flour from meat has not thickend add some flour water paste untill thickend. if to thick add bit of water.

this and a couple buddies on the river bank a case of old mil. man. folks have forgotten what a good meal is.:big_smile:

now you have got me hungry at 2am,lol.

most go to the choke and puke for a meal. i need not go farther than my yard and garden for meat and veggies. and far better for me.you would think i was 80 years old and lived in the sticks. nope. 33 and lived in a town of 500 all my life. i just always enjoied hunting fishing and eating things most just shoot for fun.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    one more for you guys and gals to think about.

6ish lb woodchuch cut into serving pieces
    flour
    salt pepper
    5 tsp lard butter
    dijon mustard
    3 slices bacon
    1 diced onion
    1/4 cup thinly sliced carrots
    1/2 cup diced mushrooms
    3 tsp chopped parsley
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup sweet cream
    1 tsp country bobs sauce

roll woodchuck in flour seasoned with salt pepper and brown if fat or butter.

let cool untill they can be handled and coat in the mustard. place on strips of bacon in shallow baking dish.

sautee the onions carrots and finally the mushrooms add the parsly and sauce check if salt pepper needed.
    over low heat add the sour cream and sweet cream stirring the two togather consistantly.

pour over meat pieces and bake at 350 for 45-50 min. check ocassionally to see if moisture needed. if so add sweet cream.

and my wifes gonna kill me. im going in to defrost a rabbit.:smile2:

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Cat wait until the next gathering. I will try and smoke one up for you.:big_smile:
    Growing up there was not much we did not eat.

Pete