Baits

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by Cuda, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Can we use bluegills for bait? The dnr site does not list what can't be used as baits. So what about bulllheads and other flathead baits? I can catch all of the channels I want. Now I want to try flatheads. I have 3 poles with 30#on the and 2 with 50# on baitcasters. I live west of dubuque and can try the mississippi or any inland river. Just do not need any tickets so that is why I'm asking. Any help would be great THANKS.

2. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    You can use bullhead and bluegill as long as you have caught them with hook and line. In other words you can't trap or net them, then use them for bait. You gotta become a pro gill fisherman before you can become pro flathead fisherman. I had previously asked dnr this question and now I am passing my knowledge to you.

3. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the reply. Are there any more unlisted litttle tidbits out there? I know that if your fishing the Mississippi on the Wisconson side you are alowd to use 3 poles. A Wisconson dnr told me that at sports show and sent me a map showing the border line. A little something to pass on. Thanks again!

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Marcus has steered you in the right directions for bait usage... I fished a tourny this weekend and they were legal so its all good...

As for tidbits unpublished there are millions of them. The little book DNR puts together is only the most common information, if you have questions don't be afraid to call or email your DNR officer, I do it all the time...

5. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    That sucks! Anyone else ever want to go into Adventureland with a casting net and catch some of those bullhead that everyone feeds for bait?

6. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Phil I have thought about it several times... about the only place around here that I know where to find smaller bullheads consistently!!!!

7. Catmandingo

Catmandingo New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Anyone got good spots where they found bait fish recently?

8. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    HAHA yeah your wife showed me the best one I have found in about the last month :wink: Atleast since the water went up!!!

9. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Easter lake my man, that lake is nothing but a big bait tank:wink:

10. grahamdragon

grahamdragon New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Last time we fished at Easter Lake it was nothing but a turtle tank. Chris saw me today....I don't like the turtles :crazy: