Baits

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by pk_powell, Jul 24, 2006.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well guys and gals here it is July 24 2006 5:15 pm. I truly believe I have bought the Mother of all catfishbaits! I went into a bait shop in St.Joseph Mo. and I explained to the owner that I had not been able to buy a bite all season. The lady promptly asked me where I fish,I said Missouri River why? She sent her helper back to the back of the shop.Presently,I smelled a rather foul odor that seemed to get stronger the closer the helper got to me. I'm standing there almost with tears in my eyes and said 'HEAVENS" WHAT IS THAT SMELL??? (I Noticed it was a jar that was all wrapped up in plastic) She says this here is Shad sides!! Well-------I told the lady it was my understanding that was the bait that was used in the winter,I didn't realize it was also used in the summer.Well she proceeded to correct me. She stated to me that what is used in Winter is Fresh Shad with the guts hanging out,and that all this was ,was soured shad sides. Now she advised me to bring it home,and open the jar and put in some garlic salt as that would make the sides harden up. I bought it and if this doesn't work,then I'm convinced that the spot I fish on the River is fishless!!! When I got this stuff home which takes about a 30 minute drive and got this out of my trunk,well lets just say I couldn't wait to put it down and I was no way gonna bring it in to the house.Also she gave me free of charge a container with the label Atomic Dip Bait. She said no one else in town had it and they were giving it to fishing clients to see if it produces,apparently it does in the local lakes but she didn't know if it would at the river so I am to call her and let her know.
    I plan on using a clothes pin for my nose and latex gloves as I was warned that if I got it on my bare hands it would not come off.
    Now I know ya all's a laughin and usually I have a real strong stomach,but I already know from past expeirence that dead fish left out in the hot sun to spoil rotten makes me have a very weak stomach! I still say I'll try any kind of cat bait once,and I'm tellin ya if this doesn't work then there's no fish where I fish. I don't have any way to post pics if I do get lucky so I'll just have to post tomorrow and let ya all know if I was sucessful. Until then ya all have a good evenin---------------pk powell:cross:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think I fished with some of that bait one time... It stank so bad when I threw it into the water, the fish started gasping and flopping on the banks. Never used it sense, as there sure was a large fish kill that time. LOL

3. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    ya'll should have seen the looks people were giving me when i was curing livers out in front of my house......lol.....people were walking around the front of the house

4. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    If that don't catch something, we will have to do something about that! You live somewhat close we could take an excursion out someday and try some cattin!

Aaron

TA2D

5. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sounds like you better hang on to the clothes pin, or bring some dramimine, peptobismol. or something with you too. Good luck, Let us know how ya did! Jack.

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    yeah i would tie it in a bag on the top of my car when you head down to the river if i were you... I would try and get fresh personally but take what you can get i guess...

7. catcatcher311

catcatcher311 New Member

State:
    Ne
    I personally have had much better luck on the fresh stuff and you definatly don't have to worry about the smell.

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck with the bait Pat, only one way to know for sure if it works. Let us know.

9. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Pat a good way to make the smell bearable is to put vicks vapo rub in your nose it works for me, ya dont want to be gagging when yer hauling in that big cat. Good luck, keep us posted.:bad_smelly:

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brothers and sisters:
    I said I would post and let ya all know about my fishing excursion last night!
    Well!!! I got educated!! I placed the clothspin on my nose cause I knew if I didn't I'd be in BIG TROUBLE.I want you to know the second I opened the jar here come the flys,well I happen to have a fabric softener sheet around my belt loop and once they got a whiff of that the flys left along with most the other bugs. I can honestly say my husband and my self were relatively bug free. I felt an occassional bug bite but for the most part I think it was a chigger cause the misquitoes didn't like my camp fogger.

Now on to my education! I progressed some what,not what I wanted but not totally skunked,I found out that big snapping turtles like rotten fish,my husband caught that! Poor thing had swallowed the hook so I had no choice but to cut the line and turn it loose. Next thing I know My big rod that has a bait clicker on it,it's an Ocean fishing rod about 9 feet long with an Ocean spinning reel openfaced with 80 pound powerpro(At least I tried to prepare), well it started clicking away and I ran a grabbed it,what did I catch? It was something that looked like a Christmas tree branch. My husband was all excited for me as he thought I'd finally been visited by the mother of all cats!! When we seen the xmas tree branch we just looked at each other,now you have to understand that this is the Missouri River,there was current but I can't say it was a strong current and since I went before sundown so we could get all set up and everything I didn't see any debri.But who knows whats lurking under the water! Also I learned that catfish MUST be able to see you from the water,cause I'm wearing this clothespin on my nose and wearing purple latex gloves to bait the hook,I have concluded that they must have seen the gloves and the clothespin and stated:Well Boys it's time to leave cause that strange thing standing on the bank looks a might bit suspicious to me!! At midnight we concluded our educational expeirence. Thus is my sad story concluded,they obviously don't like me,because I'm back to square 1. Now the brother who said in one of the replys to my bait post that since He lives in Nebraska and I believe he is fairly close to me,if you are serious about going fishing with me,and you have a boat please PM I am ready and willing. If you PM me I'll exchange emails with ya and phone numbers,I have tried several areas of bank fishing on this mighty Mo and have been frustatingly unsucessful I need someone with a boat that knows where there are holes that I am unable to access. My husband would really love to see me catch a cat, but do to his spinal injurys he gets to hurting so bad that he just can't set for too long a time and so he won't care if I go,as long as anyone who is going and is married,if their spouse doesn't mind either and there is not any drinking of alcholol I would be most happy to be your fishing partner. Obviously there are some lessons on catting I still need to learn!-------------Your Boc Sister and Friend----------Pat Powell(pk powell)
    :confuse: :baffle: