Baits?.?.?.

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Az_racer_75, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Az_racer_75

Az_racer_75 New Member

State:
    Arizon
    New to catfishing, what is the best baits to use? Stink Baits? live bait? shrimp? went to parker 2 weeks ago caught 2 channel's on bowker's catfish stink bait, went to saguaro lake last night and got skunked.... a buddy of mine caught a 19lb channel in the river bottom near tempe market place on frozen uncooked shrimp. any tips would be appreciated... Thanks

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Eric. Live bait first native to the water then cut.

3. Brett Connery

Brett Connery New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Littel cats= stink baits, hot dogs, corn, shrimps, chickin livers, bacon, all that.
    big cats= bluegil, carps, shad, tilapia, whatevers/

4. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    It all depends on what you're looking to catch. Channels you can use the prepared dough and stink baits, or you can use worms, bluegill and carp both as live or cut bait. Shrimp is a great channel cat bait too. If your going for flatheads use live bluegill or carp for bait. Up to a pound in size.
    Good luck out there. What do you race and where?

5. Az_racer_75

Az_racer_75 New Member

State:
    Arizon
    used to race factory stocks and modifieds at manzanita speedway, in the process of building a new factory stock for next year going to run with scra as a traveling assocation running prescott valley, canyon, and usa in tucson..
    back to the fishing i am looking to catch the flatheads, im really new at this so where do you hook the live baits? and where are some good spots to fish at bart.?

6. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona
    I have caught many channel cats over 10lbs on chicken liver so it depends on where you fish!

7. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I have never fished Bart, some other guys on here fish that lake a ton and they will help you. As far as hooking bait; use 8/0 or 10/0 sized hooks and in slack current hook behind the dorsal fin and in fast current guys like to hook through the eyes. I actually race at Prescott valley. I love it when the scra comes up here to race, good fast cars and clean drivers. I'm looking to build a modified for next year up here.

8. Az_racer_75

Az_racer_75 New Member

State:
    Arizon
    where do you fish? my buddy that caught th 19lb cat races also he runs the black and white #55 William McCullough

9. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    welcome to the boc of az! wow a 19lber thats cool! you guys beat my ttl pb. I caught a 15lb channel down there last year. I been wanting to get back down there again. As far as baits I prefer live for flats & shrimp for channels both on 6/0 to 8/0 circle hooks.

10. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I was talking to him his first night up here, seems like a good guy and for sure a good driver. He was pitted next to henderson. We have been hitting up pleasant this year and roosevelt a little in the spring. Water temperature is getting a little cool for the flatties, they seem to be slowing down which really sucks.

11. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    My personal choice in order:

Flatheads - #1 Live Carp, live Carp, and live Carp, but they are hard to get typically, #2 Live Green Sunfish, they are heartier and live longer than bluegills #3 Live blue gills as big as you can get them. #4 fresh cut carp heads, and bodies #5 Fresh cut bluegills #6 Waterdogs, but hardly ever use.

Channel cats - I only catch them on accident. I hate channels.

12. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona

Once he knows you the bass, trout, and channel cats will be on the flatheads list...lmao just kidding:smile2:

13. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    big ol fat live gills!!

14. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    green sunfish:big_smile:

15. swampbuster

swampbuster New Member

State:
    Utah
    :big_smile:Welcome, These guys and gals are awesome,

16. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Flats,, I have success with live gills, or anything else that swims,, or that can be cut..

Channels, in some waters,, will hit the same baits used for flats,, if they can get away with it...:crazy:
    also, don't forget nightcrawlers,, anything swimming will eat them,,

17. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    All wrong, Crappie is the best. :smile2::smile2::smile2:

18. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    whats the easiest way 2 rig up a carp?

19. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    I go through eyeballs, They will live all night long hooked through eyes. In current, it keeps them facing the current, and doesn't run the water over their gills backwards. When you reel them in, same thing, keeps water over their gills in correct direction. I have always hooked carp that way, and used to hook bluegills behind dorsal, until overkil straightened me out! LoL. Now bluegills get the same Owner/Gamagatsu Lasik Eye Surgery as the carp.

20. Chalk Saunders

Chalk Saunders New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I run a lead hook through up through there upper mouth. Then have two hooks I epoxy together at the shanks so the points are facing opposite directions, I slide one in by the tail leaving the other totally exposed. All the hooks are 10/0 or 12/0.