Baits for Cooler, Fall Temperatures

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Ahquabi_Master, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I was just wondering what baits some of you all use for channel and flathead during the cool fall-water season. Sunfish and chubs worked right up to about a month ago for me, now I just don't know what to do. The water temperature is between 50 and 60 degrees right now. Any suggestions?

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well dough and dip baits dont normally work as well this time of year.but i find the bait you described is the bait you should be using.Anything alive like shad or bluegill.I dont know if its typical but im still catching cats on liver.Hope this helps good luck to ya bro.

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    They've been reporting that the channels cats are tearing up medium shiners right now at lake nockamixon. But I havent gone out to verify that.

4. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Shiners huh? I'm definitely gonna grab some of those for tomorrow morning. I'll probably have a shiner on one pole and a sunfish on the other just in case.

5. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sonny's stink bait will still work this time of the year if you thin it down. I think my choice would be cut bait.

6. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Plain Ol' Hotdogs sprinkled with garlic powder been doing fairly well

7. LBCatter

LBCatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    shad is always a good bet i typically use smaller chunks or fillets when water temp drops

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I bought some type of fish at an Asian Supermarket kinda looks like a larger shiner with a yellow tail on it. My fishing buddy said it was a Smelt or an Anchovy. I bout a pound for the heck of it tried it out and they are slamming it. They come with the heads chopped off already and already gutted and all.