Baits for catfish traps

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by dust777man, Mar 8, 2007.

1. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I run alot of traps and usually use rotten cheese in them. Lately, I am having a hard time getting any cheese. I am looking for any suggestions that might work in the place of cheese. Any thing homemade or just any thing that has worked for any of you would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    back when i ran some hoop nets i used cotton seed cakes that i got from the feed store.i wasnt targeting cat fish but i caught a lot of them.hope this helps.

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    The old boys who've tried it all tell me that any cheese will work.
    I'm thinking velveeta in a sock.

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Memphis Net and Twine has cheese trimmings, also there is some on e-bay.

5. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the replies. I have seen the cheese trimmings on some of the sites. When you add shipping, you could have around 40-50 bucks for cheese. I run a good many traps and that the cost can add up pretty quick. Kind of looking for more alternatives than just cheese. Although the cheese is very hard to beat. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

6. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Look for the Nacho cheese in cans at Wal Mart or Sams.

7. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Hey Bigun, good to see someone else from Tx. I aint been to Burnet in a few yrs, Hows th fishin up that way? I been meanin ta get back up there an head up to Marble falls an do some fishin up there. Hows th cat fishin there?

8. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    get some cotton seed cake in slabs from a feed store. if not in slabs, get some 40% cotton seed cubes for cows.