Baits for blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Tip123Q, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Tip123Q

Tip123Q New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey everyone, i havent been on here for a while and truthfully i havent been fishing for a while but Im planning on picking it up again in fact my dad and I hit the St.Joe here in Elkhart, IN last night and pulled in a few 4 to 5 pound channels, but thats the problem all my life (im 16 so hasent been for to long) ive only fished for channels using mostly liver and stinkbait and im wanting to expand to blues. Now i was wondering whats the best type of bait for blues u kno what works the best for these awesome fish? Thanx for all the help
    -Tip---

2. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Tip... nothing works as well as the bait that swims in the water you are fishing. Most rivers and large lakes have either threadfin or gizzard shad. They are equally good as cut bait or use small shad whole.

Some rivers have the freshwater herring known as a skipjack, and another called mooneye. They all make great cut bait. If you can catch one where you are going to fish it, have your catfish pole rigged out and ready, then hook one of these speedsters behind the dorsal for a great live flathead or blue cat bait.

In the absence of these, resort to native sunfish before you use commercial minnows or baits. The commercial baits are more likely to attract channelcat than blues.

3. Dropoff

Dropoff New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Skipjack is my favorite bait any kind of cut shad is good live bluegill and goldfish work as well.

4. redneckchev

redneckchev New Member

State:
    georgia
    night crwalers work good to

5. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    We use bluegill heads here and they work great!

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Are there blue cats in that river? If so, shad and skipjacks work best, but I have caught blues on live bluegills also. Good luck

7. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Albert you are 100% right,Feed them what they eat everyday.:wink:

8. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Something I ;'ve noticed over the years. Blues will take more live baits in the warm months then anything. Usally bream or whiteperch. Also been catching more at night then in daytime.

9. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    shad are great ,they are oily and produce a lot of scent, but i like live perch or bluegill and little bullheads they stay on the hook better than shad and they stay alive for a long time.

10. mjghunter

mjghunter New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    shad, bluegills, bullheads all work great. Trim the Spines off and hook the bullheads in the tail or mouth (both work). I have had a lot of success with all species of cats using them.:wink:

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Skipjack fresh or frozen,fresh shad and DK's punch bait.

12. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    WHEN I FISHED THE JAMES RIVER WE USED ALITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING FROM SHAD, GILLS, AND EEL'S !

MY CHOICE WOULD BE EEL'S !!

IF THE WATER YOU FISH HAS THEM USE THEM !!!

HAWK

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You have recieved a lot of good answers. Skipjack has been mentioned several times. I would like to add to that fact. I like to use skipjack heads when the blues are a little pickey. Live or cut bait will always serve you best.:big_smile:

14. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia

Ill second that. My primary catfish water is the james and i love using eels. Never fished for them, but have had plenty bite on to my bait. if you are lucky enough to catch one, cut its head off and cut the body into individual 1 inch chucks. The eels are usually 2-5ft long of theres your days bait. Here on the james huge stripers come seasonally and eels are the only way to go.

15. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I like using live bait but cut shad work great if you can get them, try using the head, cut back about a third of the way on a 4-5" shad. Hook threw the mouth or the eyes. Just got off the TN river below pickwick dam, only got about three hours in and landed two 1st 45lbs which was my pb, 2nd 15lbs lost four others, one much larger than the 45 pounder. Good luck :)

16. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Anything that is natural to the body of water you are fishing. Crawdads, shad and bluegill chunks has worked for me. They seem to like the heads.

17. bookr1

bookr1 New Member

State:
    MO
    I have caught blues on skipjack, shad, mooneye, asian carp, live bluegills, and goldfish. My preferred bait is the skipjack head.

18. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    skip jack or shad and if they doesnt work try shad or skip jack, but the best bait is either shad or skipjack.......

19. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like creek chubs and bluegill sliced down the stomach

20. AfterTheBiguns

AfterTheBiguns New Member

State:
    Missouri
    So are you saying shad or skipjack will work??? LOL...