Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Baitrunner - A really stupid question

4K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  HOPPY4 
#1 ·
Been reading about Shimano Baitrunnners, which I see are a spinning reel. What exactly IS a baitrunner? How is it different from a regular spinning reel? Also, is the Penn Live Liner a type of baitrunner? Thanks

#2 ·
the bait runner has a double drag system.on the back of the reel there is a flipper type lever or button.you flip this all the way up.you then set your normal drag.then when you throw out your bait and set your rod in its holder all you haft to do is flip your bait runner switch on an your drag is set.saves having to set your drag everytime you handle your reel.hope this helps johnnie

#3 ·
johnnie was dead on! Another thing i would add though is why i like it. I set my regular drag pretty tight. Then when i cast my bait out I flip this 'bait runner' on. I then set this drag as loose as i can without the current taking my line out. this way the littlest bite will take like out. They can run with your bait without any resistance. Then when you are ready to set the hook, just flip that lever and BAM! you got them!!

#4 ·
the bait runner acts like the same as a clicker on a baitcaster but not as loud it lets the fish take line without resistance and as soon as you turn the handle it switches to the main drag which you pre set for the amount of drag you want when reeling in the fish,,hope this helps,, you can adjust the baitrunner feature to the resistance you want to for different currents so the line wont come off unless a fish pulls it

#8 ·
Been reading about Shimano Baitrunnners, which I see are a spinning reel. What exactly IS a baitrunner? How is it different from a regular spinning reel? Also, is the Penn Live Liner a type of baitrunner? Thanks

No,that was not a stupid question at all.I didn't even know the answer to that.Thank You yotetrapper for asking what I was too scared to ask :embarassed: and Thank you all for the great explanations :big_smile: .I only use regular spinning rods/reels for Ba$$,crappie,bluegill,Gar,and any other bait.I love my spinning reels for some fish but I LOVE my Abu's for cattin' :cool2: !!!

#9 ·
Thanks for all the great advice guys. This is the friendliest forum I've ever seen. Can learn everything I ever wanted to know about catfish and more. I think I like the sounds of this reel... now to decide between Shimano and Penn. I probably shouldnt even ask this, but does Okuma make one too?

Ang

#10 ·
Yeah, Okuma makes several models of the baitfeeders.
Epixor BF, Coronado and Avenger is the models available in the states.
I have the 4 of the Epixor BF and would recommend them.
From what I've heard, the Coronado and Avenger is also good quality reels.
Will

#11 ·
yeah, okuma does. I have several Okuma Coronado CD90's. Really like them but they might be what u consider a 'big reel' and I know u said in another post u didn't want that though, but it will handle any fish u can shake the ugly stik it is mounted on at!:lol:

#13 ·
Think I made up my mind, as I said on another post. Gonna go with a Penn Captiva Live Liner to see if I like the feature and size and all, and then if I do, will graduate to a better model. Gonna put it on a 7 or 8' Ugly Stick Catfish rod. Oughta work? Thanks for all the great replies guys.

Angela

#14 ·
:0a31: Good question I didnt know either.

Like my 3rd grade teacher allways used to say there are no stupid questions only stupid people.

#19 ·
I am strongly considering buying a shimano 6500 baitrunner next week as soon as i get my taxes back. Im not too familiar with big spinning reels, although i do like the baitrunner feature on this reel. Does anyone here recommend another reel near the same price and size......please let me know what reel and why you would recommend it.......or why the shimano is the right reel..........all input will be appreciated........

#20 ·
Aaron, Shimano is considered by many to be the best baitrunner. Penn also makes one in its higher end spinning reels and, as you've seen here, Okuma makes several models. I believe even Daiwa now has one. Usually, there are two things I look at on a spinning rig, the drag and the bail. Of the two, the bail is the one that has always given me the most problems. For the most part, Shimano's and Penn's have given me the best service, so I've tended to stick with them.

#21 ·
I cannot speak for any brand except the cabelas salt striker. I fish with a guy who has a Baitrunner and he loves it. I like the Salt strikers and have had no problems with them. I even hit one with an anchor when I threw it out on shore and then followed it with an anchor. I just bent the handle back straight. I think the salt strikers might be a little less expensive but I'm not sure. I wouldn't be afraid of the other brands either, but I have never used them. You typically get what you pay for so buy a good name and you'll probably like it.

#22 ·
Thank you much, Shimano it is........you see the x-mas before last i received a catmaxx spinning reel on a 9 foot stout catmaxx rod......which i have come to find out is a pretty bad mismatch for an outfit sold as a combo. I'm gonna go ahead and throw the shimano on that rod and buy one of those medium action cat rods from wal-mart for the catmaxx reel. either the ugly stik or the berkely, i will decide when i get there............again thanks for all the help

#23 ·
Aaron, I have 2 of the 6500's. They are very easy to dissassemble for cleaning, are sturdy and can handle big cats. I have 50lb mono on both. They also have smooth and tough main drags. You will enjoy using it.

#24 ·
I just bought the penn captiva live liner cll 6000 model, have not had a chance to use it yet but it seems to be a nice reel. A buddy of mine has several of these reels he fishes with at the ocean and loves them. If your near a gander mountain store they have them for 60 bucks, and they sell the okumas,and the shimano ones.

#26 ·
I have 2 Shimano 6500 Baitrunners and 2 Okuma EB50 Baitrunners. I definitely like the Shimano's better. The Okuma's are great though. I use the Okuma's at Lakes and the Shimano's at the rivers. I put my Shimano's on 9' Catmaxx rods when Im in a boat, or if Im on the bank casting 40 yds. or less. If I know Im going to be casting further I put them on my 12' Ugly Stick Big Waters. Ive got my Okuma's on 8' Cabela King Kats. I highly recommend the Shimano Baitrunners. Worth the extra money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.