Baiting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by mangus, Aug 25, 2006.

1. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    i use corn, mineral salt blocks and deer coke for baiting deer. i would like know what all of you use so maybe i can try something new. i have no room for planting.

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I used to bait with corn and salt blocks. I havent put out either in years, I like to hunt next to water, especially in the early part of the season.

3. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    We usually put out alot of corn. We've also used mineral & salt blocks. I've also used a persimmon flavored block that they seemed to like. I've used persimmon syrup--don't remember the brand--that you pour over corn, or pour it on a stump. It works good; the deer will eat up that stump trying to get it. We're gonna try some pear syrup this year. My husband cooked some pear preserves, & we saved some of the syrup. Also, gonna pour out the pear peelings & see what comes up. As you can tell, we've used alot of different stuff. I figure if it's sweet, it really attracts the deer. And you can look around & don't have to spend alot. One other thing we've tried; rice bran (or meal). You can buy it in big bags at a feed store. It's not very expensive. Just pour it on the ground, or over your corn. It's really powdery, & the deer sure seem to like it. Just a few of my suggestions. Good luck to you!

4. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Yup, the rice bran works wonders. Put about a small coffee can out in a pile and you can see nose prints in it before long. I have used peanut butter also. I also like to take those cheap red apples and cut them in half and put on a broken stick. about 2 ft high.

5. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    come on! i know there are more deer hunters in here that bait than this. 32 veiws and 3 post. yall must not like me:cry: i see:big_smile: going to the beach for the week and it better be a zillion post when i get back:big_smile: :big_smile:
    just kidding:big_smile: but it better!!!

6. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    I use does for bait....Last week in Oct. you cant find better bait!!

7. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    here is illinois it is illegal to bait with any food
    i used to think it was wrong and it would be way to easy if you did bait
    then i watched an episode of spirit of the wild with uncle ted (ted nugent)
    and he brought up a good point when people always mailed him saying it was cheating and too wasy
    his point was that it is not wrong at all unless you consider hunting next to a corn or bean field cheating, same with using doe scents

i thought that was a good point that most people dont think about
    also like i said in illinois baiting is illegal but now they make this spray/gel stuff that is scented like food , if you can use that then why not the real thing
    scents should be just as much considered baiting as food

8. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    When I was a kid we had a big garden spot with watermellons and dad would
    break them open in the fall for a week or two and the deer loved them. Always took several deer that way.
    Bill

9. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Alot of states dont ban baiting because its too easy, they ban it to try and prevent the spread of disease and infections in the herds. The spread of CWD, Chronic Wasting Disease was attributed to huge bait piles in some northern states. Nose to nose contact in feed that the deer relieved themselves in is thought to have started alot of it.
    I think I just seen on another site where KY is going to ban baiting for deer during a conciding turkey season for fear of spreading disease between turkeys. Sprays and scents dont spread disease.

10. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    We use rice bran alot our deer will walk past corn the get to it.

11. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    The ban is supposed to start next year, not this year. DOH

12. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

We would put out excess fruits from our trees at home things like pears, apples and peaches. We would also gather up excess peacans and acorns to add to exsisting trees in in the area. Along with salt blocks and peanut butter. you may not have room to plant stuff like oats are corn but have you considered white clover? just toss out the seed and it will grow, deer love it. good luck, I hope this has helped you some.

13. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    I.ved used apples before they worked pretty good

14. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    thanks!! i got a couple of new ideas that i can use.