Baiting waxworms for bluegill

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by lightningmetal10, Mar 28, 2006.

1. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    II have tried numerous ways of hooking waxworms all of which ended with an explosion of waxworm guts on my hands.... ne suggestions? Thanks in advance men
    Joe

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Don't know any way of totally preventing it, but you can minimize the problem by using a really light wire hook. I generally use a #10 or #12 long shank cricket hook.

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27: with everything that jtrew said, only I would like to add not to hold the waxworm to tight when you run the hook through it - maybe that will help out.
    :0a26:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    By the way, if you use maggots instead of waxworms, they will stay on the hook so much better that you won't have to rebait so often. And they work even better than waxworms.

5. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    Really? I actually jus switched from crawlers to waxworms because of the weather... hmm i may just have to give ur advise a try...

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    when you hook wax worms your going to get guts on ya no way around it. But if your wanting to hook it good and keep it on ur line I use about a 2 oc hook and ill take the wax worm and run it from its head down the hoook. It gets messy but it stays on the hook good.

7. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Read an article in North American fishing mag. by Steve pannaz he was using wax worms for ice fishing , the worms have 2 or 3 black dots at their head put a fine hook beteween the dots no mes. SEE YOU ON THE FISHBANK SOMETIME

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Just Use Night Crawlers, They're The Best Bluegill Bait Anyway At Least Around Here.