Baiting some holes

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rpcathunter, Feb 15, 2006.

1. rpcathunter

rpcathunter New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I would like some input on this. This is what I got :350lbs of soured maise/hen scratch, 15 Christmas trees. The lake is Eagle Mtn. in north Texas ( depest is 48', alot of 8-12' water ). How deep, how often , ect.

2. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I know nothing about your lake but there are some people on here from your area. Maybe they will give you a tip. Also might check out the State Threads of BOC.

This is on my Lake.
    On the sour grain I would go for the 8-12 deep on my lake. I like to put my SG in a burlap sack or a bucket, something like that so it stays in the area longer. Doing it that way, in past, it can last up to a week. Pouring straight into water, it will last a few hours. That is my experience. I would put the trees in much deeper water. 20 or more feet. Maybe on the edge of a creek channel in the shallows in a cove. Same with SG in a cove.

On my lake we have skiers, tubers, swimmers. I wouldn't put trees in the way of that.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

I'd use them to make a wall to block the skiers from my fishin hole. LOL :craf-big:

4. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Once you get a hole going, I've heard in Texas that only a coffee container full will keep them going per day. I'd just chum it every day of the season and see how it goes and adjust my chumming rates according to the bite. As for the trees, 8-12 foot is perfect, just find a flat coming up out of the deep holes/river channels in that depth and drop away. God bless.

5. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    I live on Lake Palestine, TX and I have a hole in 20 ft of water on the edge of a channel....I catch channels/blues in my baited hole all year long. I will dump about a gallon of SG per week and they are already there everytime I hit the hole. I use Maze/hen scratch too...when souring i usually add a beer to speed the process...one for the grains one for me.:)

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    See now i just have one question... how tall are the christmas trees? my gf's family had a 14 ft tall one... if i was taking that out to an area thats 8-12 ft deep it would:
    1- not be my little secret
    2- be a huge hazard if boating is allowed at night

I would say find an area right next to the channel or someother fish attracting structure and dump a few there then find other areas that would be suitable for the trees too.. if there is a creek or river flowing into the area i would lay one down there (not standing up)...

As for the soured grain throw it out (either in the sack/bucket or free) at a regular schedule and/or pull a pavlov's dog and "ring a bell" for them when you put the chum out... but use something unique like maybe have a bunch of scrap metal pieces strung together to make a jingle sound underwater... Eventually the fish will equate that sound w/ food/ the chum and eventually your bait(don't worry as long as you throw more bait out then hooks they won't run away from the sound) and they should come running...

7. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    With a tree that size, you just anchor it at the top and bottom with weight so it will hold on the bottom of the lake. God bless.

8. rpcathunter

rpcathunter New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    yea, it doesnt have to be straight up

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Don't put all your chum in one spot just yet. Bait and fish several spots searching for the most productive water. Personally, I prefer to have a couple of spots............when the KS wind starts to howl you better have a fall back spot on some sheltered water.

I'd save the tree's for crappie piles, if cat's move in on it, so much the better.

10. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I am going to have to give this a try. Hopefully i can setup a good hole for myself if the smell doesn't give it away while chumming.

11. augila

augila New Member

State:
    Texas
    Buy some 20% breeder cubes at the feed store and throw out about 20 lbs. every few days at the same place and pretty soon they will be there waiting on you to show up.