baiting shad and skipjack

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by catmantony, Apr 3, 2008.

1. catmantony

catmantony New Member

State:
    Troy,Mo
    i know this is a dumb ? but i have never used shad or skipjack so when cutting it up for bait is there a right and wrong way to cut it up and how big of pieces do you cut it into and also what kind of hook thanks tony

2. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Welcome to the BOC Tony and there is no dumb question.. Alot depends on the size of hooks most use from 7/0 to 10/0 Kahles, Circles and Octopus..

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the Boc. The bait question will depend on how big of fish you are trying to catch and the size in which your body of water can hold. You can use the shad/skipjack as fillets or as "steak cut" which is the fish divided into 3-5 chunks. Hook should be no smaller than a 6/0 circle. Hope this helps out.

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Welcome to the Boc

5. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    some days they prefer different "cuts" for who knows why. shad heads are a great bait on some days. some fileted sides are it. put out a couple of each and see what works best. the fresher the better. i think the latter is most important. can't say much about skip, around here they are about as rare as a blue moon.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome to the boc I usually use them as cut baits

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The way I cut shad or skipjack depends on how I'm fishing, and how big the fish are I'm trying to catch.

When I'm interested in catching mostly eating size fish, whether on rod & reel, trotline, or jugs, I cut my bait into pieces about the size of a quarter, and use 4/0 - 6/0 hooks. When I'm trying for the bigger fish, I'll cut a 6"-8" shad or skipjack in half, and use a 7/0-9/0 hook; if the shad or skipjack are big ones, I'll cut 1" - 1 1/2" steaks.

Unless I'm running out of bait, I don't use the tails; just doesn't seem like there's enough blood & scent in them.

8. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Welcome to the BOC

I like to fillet them and use the strips, making sure the strip "wave" in the current. Of course they have to be decent size to do this, if there small I cut their belly open and use the whole thing

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Not much I can add far as how to use the bait so I'll just say WELCOME to the BOC Family. Your gonna learn a lot on here.So grab the popcorn and enjoy the ride.

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Same here and welcome to the BOC.

11. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    depends on the size of shad also, if it is under 5-6 inches sometime they work better fresh as can be without cutting them at all. can stretch the bait out further by cutting em up though. have fun

12. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    it does not really matter the size of pieces you cut i have caught larger fish on one to two inch pieces and have caught smaller fish on larger pieces so the size of chunks you use should be usually determined by how much bait you have i also change smaller pieces more often than the larger ones and i dont use circle hooks but alot of people like them

13. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Welcome to the HOOD!! Nothing to add on the bait, the boy's got it covered!!:smile2:

14. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    Tony; With shad for the most part I just use them whole. Skipjack I turn them on their back and starting just behing the anal vent cut down to the spine then forward to the gills and up, this is your gut pocket, then cut a fillet off each side. cut about 3 nice chunks of the front of each fillet. Cut the gill covers off the head and remove it from the back bone. you now have 6 good baits from one skipjack. My PB (60+) come on 2 pieces of skipjack fillet in 30 feet of water. You will usually catch your best fish on the head and gut pocket. You just never know what is biting next. That is the best part of the deal. One thing further, I use a double Gammi 8/0 Circle rig for the gut pocket. Good luck.