baiting question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by erickherdt, Jun 5, 2009.

1. erickherdt

erickherdt New Member

State:
    GB Wisconsin
    Hey gang, long time lurker, first time poster.

I recently started fishing exclusively for catfish up here in Green Bay, Wisconsin. As a kid, my Dad used to always fish for cats when we lived down in Olathe, Kansas, and I wish I woulda paid more attention to what he was doing back then.

I am getting lots of hits, but not landing many fish.

When I put the dough bait on my treble hook, should the barbs be exposed? I bury them in the bait, to avoid snags, but I think I might be missing fish because of it (pulling everything out of their mouths on the hookset).

As for bait, I use Sonny's regular, and a glob of provolone cheese soaked in garlic, and a mess of other crap I have purchased before I found this website.

Thanks to everyone for their pictures, their stories, advice and inspiration to find the big ones.

Erick

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

WELCOME to the BOC Erick!I,ve never had much luck on the dough baits,that may just be around here.I,ve fished it next to shiners and crawlers when the channels were biting and always have done better with live.I do fish doughball for carp though and I don,t have trouble with the hookset there.Most any kind of dough,the hooks gonna pop right thru the bait on the hookset,and into the fishes mouth.I used to fish trebles once in a while years ago,my hooking percentage is a lot higher with single hooks and I end up with a lot less hooks snagged on the bottom.Good luck and good fishing.Keep us posted.:wink:

3. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Same here I have never caught anything around my area with dough balls and for treble hooks I dont like them go with a single hook set up based on the type of area your fishing. good luck:wink:

4. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    welcome erick and as far as dough baits i have used them with success but sometimes you may want to use a smaller hook or smaller balls of bait sometimes the smaller cats will eat the doughbait and everything so the smaller hook may help your hook up ratio

5. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Hello Erick

Welcome to the BOC,

Sounds like you are on the right track, you mentioned Sonny's, dip bait that is good stuff, so is Secret 7, or Danny King's punch bait, I dont use dough balls, for catfish, I dont use those rubber tube baits either, I bought a piece of sheep skin, like a buffing pad, and cut some strips of it, take your knife and cut a hole in it to slide the hook thru, it really soaks up the bait, better than the rubber tubes,even a piece of deer hide would work,you might want to try a small Khale hook or a circle hook.
    Do you fish in a river or lake
    You might want to go to the threads, for different types of catfish, for more information, they have them for Flatheads, Blues, Channel's, lot of good info, in them,

Best of luck

cliff

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Sounds like small fish.. try out a small bluegill hook with a small ball of dough bait and see what you pull out. Then adjust your methods or move.

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the BOC Eric

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    for channel cats i've alway had luck with a size 1 j-hook and chicken liver, if ya start gettin into some bigger cats just step up the hook size and try some cut sunny head or some other sort of stink bait, for flatheads i use 8/0 gamm octopus circle hooks and alway live bait(sunnies or gills):wink:

9. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to the BOC, Erick. It is nice to know we have some other Brothers from Wisconsin. Like you, I'm trying to remember some of what I forgot about catfish when I lived in Kentucky as a kid.

A steady job and the love of a good woman have been the ruination of many a good fisherman.

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton, IL. I don't know much about channel cat fishing, wish I could help. Good luck.

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Glad to have ya aboard. I never had much luck on dough bait, but I'd try a 3-4/0 J hook, or 4-6 circle hook. Smaller cats won't get that size circle hook in their mouth, Circle hooks are the best, best hook rate I'd say. You can use about anything from hot dogs to marshmallows to bananna peels for channel cats.