Baiting hog traps

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by TX Catman, Sep 8, 2008.

1. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you have ever hunted or stayed in rural texas you have probley heard or seen hogs. There a huge problem and they keep tearen up my land! I've been trying to trap them but so far i have only got one in the past 2 months trapping, compared to if i walk around with a gun for them i always find them... right now im using regular deer corn in the traps... does anyone have any good bait sugestions???

2. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    We went to texas a couple times, down around knox city and the game warden down there said the very best thing to use was cracked corn like 50lbs and soak it in milk and let it sour. Hope this is useful to ya

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I used a hog trap on a lease i had in south ark. Soured corn is much better than raw corn. I don't have to tell ya a hog can flat smell.

4. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    If you really want to get ride of them, just ask some of these south Arkansas boys to bring in their dogs for ya! They can rid your property of them real quick!

don3778

5. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Get your corn good and ripe, sour it in spoiled milk.. or water.... or a cheap beer or two...then, sprinkle some cool aid on it before you set it out.. Hogs can't resiste the combo of sweet and sour... Make sure and keep your trap door wired OPEN for several days to let he hogs get used to coming in to eat... THEN set the trap...Leave NO man scent around the area... Good luck

6. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    One more suggestion, park away from your trap and slip in with a gun. There are often hogs around a trap when you have some caught.

Jim

7. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Hey Jeremy, shoot me a pm with alittle info. Where are you, what's the closest big town, etc. I can pretty much guarantee you that I can get you in contact with some hog dog hunters who will rid your place of pigs. It's pretty amazing, if you chase hogs and harass them with dogs often enough, they vanish like a fart in the wind. I don't think there's a better way to get rid of hogs than with the dogs.

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yep, what they said, when I get down that way with my buddies from TX they use soured corn. Hogs love it and the deer not as much, so helps lessen the chances of catching a deer who might be tempted by regular corn to slip by your guard wires. Good luck!