Baiting for Hogs

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by Big Country01, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    what does everyone use for baiting up hogs?
    i use corn and sweet feed in my feeders..
    how do you feel toward using baits?

2. billyl

billyl New Member

State:
    TN
    I mainly use corn in our traps. The main reason for this is that it is relatively inexpensive. We get alot of corn from places where they have busted some bags and we just get them to sweep it up and put it trash cans for us.

3. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have soured some corn with my neighbor before. We took a 55 gallon barrel and filled it half way with corn and the rest with soda, beer, apples, pears, meat, and anything else that would fit and let it sit for a couple of weeks. It smelled horrible. It didn't really work that great either.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If you have one of the old bread outlets in your area.The bread is good,but they will kill for sweets.Some of these stores will sell large sacks of bread,and sweet rolls,do-nuts,cakes,ect.If you can anchor a trough,sweet water,yup,suger and water.You can just poor suger on the ground.They will eat the dirt,if it is sweet.peewee-williams

5. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    sugar on the ground???????
    i'm gonna have to try that pee wee......

6. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The hard part of baiting hogs is getting them to come the first time.Once they learn where a good meal is,they will keep comming back,as long as the meal is there.A can of Sardines,or Jack Mackeral,well shook up in a quart jar with water,is a good starter.Have a extra lid with holes,and sprinkle it all over bushes,trees,grass,ground,ect.This smell will go a long way,and the dew at night will,will wet it and help.Once they start comeing,you can quit this,and use regular bait.This will also bring coons,bears and Gamewardens with a sense of smell.Allways bait in the morning,earlier the better,unless you are trapping.If you do it in the evening,they will wait for night to feed.I think I was 12 years old when the Georgia fence law went into effect.Before that,every ones stock ran loose.At times,people were killed and maimed by hogs,cattle,horses and mules running loose.Farmers wanted "mean"stock,that could protect itself and it,s offspring in the woods.People were very good at baiting,trapping and catching stock with dogs.peewee-williams

7. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Hey!I forgot.If a BEAR shows up for dinner,forget the hogs.Hogs will stay away from bears.peewee-williams

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I think its also called Hog wild or something similiar. You mix it with corn and let it set. Seen it used on several hunting shows. I would suggest Mollasses cattle feed. The smell carries for a great distance. If you have a feed mill see if they will sell you some raw mollasses by the bucket. (bring your own). I do that every year for deer and pour it over corn. The find it in a day over jsut bait alone. I can tell if I am out because down wind I cant smell the mollasses.

9. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i'm not to wottied about the game warden here we are allowed to bait for deer and hogs. hogs we can take year round they are consider property of the land owner....