Baiting/attractant scents ect..

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Scott Daw, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    The game commission recently approved the use of bait for deer in one of my hunting areas. since this is new to my state and I've never used it before. what do some of you all use? Ive been liking what I here about cmere deer on tv but im keeping an open mind. any advise?

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    shell corn works the best here but make sure its this years cut and not some old crap thats been sitting in a bin since last year. if its real dusty in the bag dont buy it because someone in your hunting area will have the good stuff and you know where the deer will be. i made a mistake and bought a a ton of that old crap one year. the deer did eat in jan. and feb. when they had no choice. i dont know about that cmere deer thing.

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    You might want to try some salt blocks too. Even after they are gone the deer will still come to the area and go after the dirt. Others like mineral blocks but I have never had any luck with them. There are some other blocks like apple that deer and turkey both love. I quit baiting years ago since it started costing too much.

4. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    we can not do this but apples will work... and i have heard people using water softener salt and just dumping it at one place and get some water and water it down a bit... i heard they will come back to that and keep comming to that..... then every year just put a bit more salt in it.... even if the salt is dissolved it dont matter

Jeff

5. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    dont use the plain salt blocks but instead use the "trace" blocks. these are brown in color. they have a lot of minerals and such the animals need. kinda like a Flintstones vitamin for bambi. i'd suggest putting the block on an old stump. as it slowly dissolves the salt will leach into the wood and if the block runs out before you get a chance to put up a new one the deer will simply eat the wood and eventually wallow out a hole.

i start a new "lick" with two blocks on a stump and add a new block the next summer. figure four to six months for a block to disappear average.

c'mere deer, deer caine, on and on and on,,, are all pretty much a blend of minerals and or salt ot some degree or another. its not so much an attractant as it is an element in the animals diet it needs and knows where to find it. ive read research about the distances deer will travel for salt licks and how does will teach fawns where the mineral licks are. even so much as travelling a few miles outside of their home range just to visit a salt lick and to return home. ive got salt licks out at my place that have been active for fifteen years.

(if youve seen that documentary on animal planet about the elephants going 100 miles to the salt cave... same principle)

as far as bait goes... feed corn for sure and yhea, he's right about not using last years stuff. i have used old corn but i stored it myself, it was clean and in good shape. yhea it can get expensive. four bucks a fifty lb bag if you dont buy it in bulk, two to three bags every week for a few months. scatter it around or just dump it in piles, makes little difference. those battery operated deer feeders will pay for themselves in a season by the way they can stretch out a bag of corn. maintain them year round and when u sit in the stand and that little motor whirrrrs, you can hear the deer running to the feeder.

have a buddy go with you, sit in your stand, and have buddy move around your shooting lanes as you tell him where to dump out corn piles. i usu put mine just on other side of small tree trunks so they wont see me raise up to shoot. if hunting a highline or lane going away from you pour out corn in a line in that direction instead of cross the trail. they will line up side by side to eat broadside to you. pick your shot carfully and one cartridge will put two in the deep freeze. corn is great but if you know a sweet 'tater farmer so much the better. apples are good but seasonal. horse feed works good but i dont have that kind of money to waste.

6. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive never had luck with the brown mineral blocks. Ive set them not 10 feet from my plain white salt blocks and the mineral block just dissolved. No deer tracks EVER, but like I said some people swear by them. Deer around here just dont seem to like em.

Another thing you might want to do is get a burlap sack and put a salt or mineral block in it and hang from a tree. Put a little salt or mineral under it on the ground. Every time it rains a little salt will dissolve from the bag and keep your salt or mineral lick going. I dont hunt my salt sites but I use it for scouting to determine what kind of deer are hitting it and how often. I havent put a salt block at one site for over 3-4 years and they are still hitting it.

7. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    sounds like what you have is a calcium supplement block or another specific type of block. they dont last anywhere near as long thats true. some feed store peeps dont know the diff. a trace salt block is just as hard, solid, and heavy and a normal white block... its just brown. the supplement blocks look like trace blocks from a few feet away however upon close look you can see the tiny dots that make up the block. think along the lines of lookin at a hunk of styrofoam closely, all the tiny bits squished together. these blocks do not last long, are good mainly for cows only, and yer right, deer dont care for them.

i agree with you too about never shooting a deer in a lick. i couldnt count the deer ive harvested that were eating corn when i pulled the trigger or bow release if i tried. i can say nary a one ever in a salt lick.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Deer corn, salt licks, pears, apples and acorns. All work we would even plant small patches of wheat and barly when we could.

9. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Peanut butter and honey mixed. For sure sweet potatoes. If you can find a farmer in you area that will let you go in after he has harvested the potatoes you can pick up all you want. We call them strings. Deer around here love them. Just don't put them out all at ounce or they will eat all you have.

10. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I started using rice bran a couple of years age and the deer love it. It is used to fatten cattle and horses. It is also about the same price as corn but 50lb lasts alot longer.

11. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    The mineral blocks I tried were just like the salt blocks, Ill have to try one of the others next time. Thanks.

12. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Most folks supplement their food plots with corn down here. They will walk around old dirty corn to go to fresh clean corn. We have planted food plots and strips anywhere we could to grow the maximum ammount of feed for the deer since 1966. We plant some of the new super mixes, but use mainly oats, and some rye. Everyone is right about sweet potatoes too. Deer love a sweet tater! Take care, Jack.

13. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    of course being in louisiana i dont really know what will do well for our brothers a little farther north but I plant winter wheat, turnips, annual rye, and sometimes oats. usually around mid september is when we disk up the cutovers and plant everything but ill toss turnip seeds anytime.

ive experimented with turfgrasses too. (beyond the annual rye)
    a real dry summer will ruin a grass patch so its really not worth the effort.
    the bermuda grass still shows a few sprigs here and there after several years, the centipede i planted never survived the first summer, and the four or five pieces of st. augustine grass i planted died out too. i wasnt suprized, was more of a "whats this gunna do" kind of things. any of you bros up north try perrenial rye or a fescue mix?

14. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Baiting is legal here, I keep 3 feeders out year round to keep trail cameras on to keep up with the deer. One thing I've learned, I get pictures of lots of deer (way more than I ever thought we had) year round, but from the middle of Aug, until the end of Jan. here in central Arkansas I will not get a picture of a buck, except a few buttons, spikes or fork horns, in the day time. When the bucks shed their velvet and bust up the bachelor groups they go just about nocturnal around the feeders, most of the good buck pictures will be from 1 to 3 o'clock in the AM. The only exception is during the rut. They seldom eat out of the feeders then, but they come to the does that do. Also when the acorns fall, they all just about quit the feeders till the acorns are gone. I know lots of folks that feed and use lots of different things to feed'em, but none of them will compete with acorns.