Baiting and chumming

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Sigmar, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    Wanted to get some opinions and advice on baiting a spot. What would be good to use and any favorite recipes for baiting that anyone would care to share.

2. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Keep it simple. Range cubes are easy to use, no mess and you don't have to wait for it to sour up. If you have time, sour up some hen scratch or wheat. 5 gallon bucket 2/3 full of grain and cover it up with water. Let it sit in the sun for a week or so. Check it after the first or second day mix it up and be sure it still has plenty of water.

3. Jaylake_21

Jaylake_21 New Member

State:
    Texas
    You will need the following things:

2 (two) 5 gallon buckets

1 bag of maize
    1 bag of sugar
    some water
    1 6 pack of beer (perferably your favorite kind of beer)

Take the bag of maize and fill up each bucket half way.
    Add some sugar to each bucket, i usually put 3-5lbs of sugar in each bucket.
    Then, i take and fill each bucket about 1/4 full with water.
    Then i add 2 beers to each bucket.
    Stir up the chum, and let it sit a few weeks in the sun. Every few days, stir the chum around. When you go fishing, make sure you take a pair of ear plugs with you. The best kind is the kind that you roll up and insert into your ears. Put those plugs in your nose, because you will need them. The smellier it is, the better. I have used this time and time again, and I really like the way it works.

If you kept count, you still have 2 beers left. Those are for you to enjoy.

Also, you can look on the main page under Catfish Discussion, and theres a section for Homemade Baits. Good Luck, and welcome...

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i do my chum by the drum full.
    i take 55 gal drum, put 200lbs of milo and 100 lbs of cracked corn (this is just personal preference) wheat and oats do really good too but smell more like poop when they sour.
    I then add 5 lbs of sugar, it is best to alternate the mix by 1 bag milo, 1/2 bag corn, 1 bag milo, 1/2 bag corn ect. with adding some sugar every now and then.
    I cover it with water up to top of grain, and let set over night. In 2 days u will have to add 5 gals of water to the mix.
    After that i cover with mosquito net and let set for a week. If u need it before a week, it will work after 3-4 days this time of year. But just not as good,
    By the time u get to the bottom of that barrel it is PERFECT

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    PS. Save the beer for the fishing trip, and take a old long handle pan to scoop with.
    By the end of the barrel, dont take anyone that is weak stomached

6. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    I agree...save the beer. Bilogically it does nothing for fermenting the grain faster.
    Like Bobby and GMC said...get some chicken scratch . add water and let nature takes her course. 3-5 days in the summer and it's plenty ready.
    7-14 in the winter.

7. fishing bum

fishing bum New Member

State:
    Victoria Texas
    you might try this one. get a burlap sack nad mix up a mix of cow manure and corn. let it set for week nad thae go to your bset fishing hole tie a weight on to the sack and dorp it into your best spot and let it start to draw in some hogs.