Baiting an area for catfish

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by Eich, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Most of my expertise is in carp fishing. However as a student of the sport my mind, eyes and ears are always open to "new" ideas at least new to me. My question is in baiting an area for catfish what types of baits are used to entice catfish (channels) to feed in that particular area?
    With carp it is pretty much of a three day baiting campaign to get them coming and holding in a certain area. Corn (maize) is prepared and a 5 gallon bucket full is used to bait daily at approximately the same time each day to get interest and to keep interest in feeding in that area. Is it similar with catfish? One would think that the type of bait should be some kind of meat product. Correct? Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for being so helpful to someone who is basically just "getting their feet wet" on this catfish chasing.

Ray

2. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    illinois springfield area
    ive tried canned dogfood, didnt work for me, also chumn blocks didnt work, fresh road kill wired on a branch over the water worked, i got it off here few years back, i actually used carp, wrap em good maggots fall, attract catfish, also attract carp, dont throw into area, upstream let bait drift into area where feeding

3. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    I always save my crab legs and shells after a crab feast. Has worked pretty good for me in the past but chumming isnt a sure fire way to catch the big ones.

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have chummed with grain but i dotn get to do it on a regualr basis so my results are sketchy

5. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Here in Kansas we use soebeans or grain, corn works also but itattracts carp also. Soak the beans in water for a week or so (depends how hot the weater is, after a week or so they get ripe and stinky, its not legal in all states but its is in Kansas, check your local rules

6. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    try fermented soybeans, whole milo or whole wheat soaked in water for channel cats. If you want carp use boiled feed corn or cracked corn fermented. What is know as chicken scratch or cottonseed cakes or range cubes {cattle feed} will work as well. In lakes I never leave home without the beans if I'm channel cat fishing from may to October.

7. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    This is going to sound like a joke but its not. I've heard of guys getting a burlap sack full of cowpies, tying it to a rope and placing it in a likely hole for a day or two. The story goes that this get up attracts all kinds of channel cats up to 3 or 4 pounds are so.

I've thought about trying it, but now that I'm married, I don't know if the Boss will let me get away with keeping a sack full of cow **** in the trunk:wink:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have used the chicken scratched as a chum with success. I put it in a 55 gal barrel, add yeast or beer and cover with water. Check it daily, stir and as it soaks the water up, add more water. You and your neighbors will know when its ready. (Smell)...... You can also check the BOC members library for more chum receipts.

9. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gather up a pair of the Mrs Old Panty Hose and a Carton or tub of Dip bait.
    Find a fair sized smooth rock .
    Put the rock in one toe, the Dip bait ontop of it and tie the waist shut.
    The other leg makes a fine hanger from an over hanging limb, close to a bank cut or a deep log.

Suspending it away from the bottom and in some semi slack water seems to make it last a long while.

Cheap and quick insurance for an overnighter or when you have a day or two long outing planned.
    AND:
    Its movable should ya feel the need.

Good luck and get after them.

ron

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

take the wife out first right?

11. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    alot of good posts here I will post what works for me on small channels which is the norm for chumming.The best but hardest is the soured grain like Mickey spoke of and yes the smell is bad make sure you have a good seal on your bucket while taking it in the boat.I have heard people swear by cottonseed cakes but I can't say for sure that it works , I caught my normal while using this.The easiest at least for me is to buy the magic bait , chicken blood flavored nuggets.Throw about one third of the bag around the hole you are casting to , they sink fast.Wait for thirthy minutes and it will be on.When it starts to slow throw out some more.Magic bait also makes a chum bag but IMHO it doesn't work as well as the chicken blood nuggets.I found this by accident one day. I use mostly DK punch bait when fishing for channels.Anyhow I got my rods set out and was doing some boat cleaning while waiting for the bite and found a old bag of the magic bait so I dumped the bait in the lake as it was old and hard.Well in about 30 minutes I was catching one after another.Had to go to only one rod.I caught about 18 in less than two hours.I didn't put it all together until I got home and seen this mess in my livewell , it was the magic bait they had spit up.
    Well now my secret is out , try it and see if it works for you.Good Luck

12. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    GREAT INFO GUYS THANKS FOR SHARING!

My grandpa used to use a lot of blood bait and would also jsut take a bucket of blood and pour it out where he was fishing...the climpier the better..he always caught a lot of eaters like that

13. Just_a_feller

Just_a_feller New Member

State:
    Georgia
    We use laying mash, rabbit feed, or meal cakes in an onion sack. tie it on the down stream end of the sand bar about 20 ft off the bank.. Have had good success.works good for cats and mullet...RC

14. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've never done it, but I can see it working well for channels with the right stuff.

Now, it'd be good to know how to bait an area for baitfish. :wink:

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I use Quaker oats to attract bluegills when I'm cast netting for bait.:wink:

16. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Wow this some awesome info fella's thanks a bunch.

17. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,

Plain old bread and plenty of it. Moisten it so it sinks. Chubs, bluegills, minnows, and suckers all love to eat bread. Sweet corn works as well, but is a little harder on the pocketbook. Try it! :wink:

Ray

18. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    The magic bait bag of fish chum works well for the baitfish , it will atract crappie in shallow water as well.Also the post about the oats and the bread work well but it does take a while for it to sink.There is also a cottonseed meal cake called magic brix mealcake that sinks well and attracts all sorts of bait and game fish.good luck

19. festus

festus New Member

A carp baiting trick I used years ago was to take a quart coffee can and punch a hole in the bottom. I'd run about a 30'-40' section of strong twine inside the hole, and secure it inside the can with a big washer. Then I'd dump a pint size can of corn inside the coffee can, along with a rock big enough to sink the can tied to the washer. I'd put several layers of the strongest paper towels I could find on top the can, and secure it with a strong rubber band. I'd toss the can out as gently and far as possible to avoid ripping the paper towels. Then I'd leave the can in there a while, just long enough for the paper towels to disentigrate. Then I'd yank really hard on the twine. This dumps your chum into one spot and keeps it from scattering as badly.

Wouldn't this work for catfish? I catch quite a few crappie, yellow bass, yellow perch, and sauger in the spring, just enough to eat some fresh and freeze the remainder, because I don't eat fish but maybe once every couple of months. Why not save the scraps from these fillets, chop them up, then freeze them and save them for catfish chum?

20. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    It starts slow, but they will come LMHO:wink:

(1) Get yourself a couple box's of Cheerios cereal,and a couple small bags of (dry) puppy chow or any small dry dog food pellets.

(2) Go to your spot on the lake ( MUST DO THIS at the same time of day everytime you go)and start feeding the bluegills with the Cheerios, casting it out by the handfull,and again when they are gone, for about a hour. Then pitch out a couple handfulls of the dogfood and leave.

MUST- REPEAT step 2 everyday, (at the same time). You will start seeing channels come in to feed after their sense's pick up on the bluegills feeding frenzy on the cereal. Once you see the channels, pitch out more of the(SAME) dogfood pellets, with just enough cereal to keep the bluegills around( keeps the water POPPING). Keep the fish feeding for about a hour each time and leave. (Try not to over feed):crazy:

Do not get over ancious and start fishing to fast because you see them:smile2::smile2:. Do this feeding for about a week after you see the cats.

(3) Buy a box of wheaties.

Put 2-3 cups (SAME) dogfood in a bowl and add 1cup water..

Let it absorb the water and grind/blend up fine/ like a semi-thick milkshake.

Pour a couple cups wheaties into the dogfood puree and by hand mix together, keep adding wheaties until you are working with a moist/sticky pliable ball of dough, just enough where you can knead a 3/4"ball on a #1-2 gamakatsu octopus, pushing down with your thumb leaving a slight indentation just above the point, forming a small ball of dough that looks like a J.

(4) Around the same time,Go to your spot with a pole rigged with a carolina rig , a #1-2 doe's great with a 1/4-3/8oz lead. cast out your cheerieos to get the blugill popping, soon the cats will show as always.:big_smile:.After you got them comeing in(and they will). Bait up your rod and pitch out 5-10' and HOLD on to your rod at this point because it will be gobbled up quick:wink:

I hope you have a 9' stringer or a big basket, because you will need it.

Warning, If you do this on a farm pond or small lake you might just catch all the cats out of it, so find out how manys swimming and how many you can take without hurting the population of cats in the ponds.

Have Fun boy's GO GET-EM

I have done this. It works!. period!!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009