Baiting a Dock

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by glenc, Jun 6, 2006.

1. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We recently purchased a home on Lake Eufaula in Ok. This is a new development. Only 4 houses so far. There is also a new boat dock with no boats in any slips yet. I have fished it a few times hoping for some crappie but no luck. There are a few pearch/bluegill. I was wondering what I could used to bait it up to bring in some nice Cats? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Glen

2. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    How deep is the water around it? also what kind of dock? fixed? Floating? get pics... It'll help us give better advice...

If none of your neighbors mind (which it being a new complex they probably will) you can tie off a piece of road kill to the dock. That will rot attract flies which will lay eggs that hatch into Maggots which will fall into the water and attract more and bigger bluegills and perch and crappie which will in turn attract ba$$ and Cats and what ever other predatory fish are in the lake...

Another suggestion you can use is soured grain, throw out a gallon worth a day around the dock in 1 cup increments at a time... over time you'll be able to just throw out a couple cups and throw a bait in and catch fish right away...

If you'd like something less smelly or disgusting you could always go buy one of the fish blocks (commecially available chum) or one of the other commercial chum bags/blocks that last weeks and tie it to the dock but i don't know how effective they would be since i've never tried them....

3. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I really don't know how deep it is. It is a floating dock that looks like it is supposed to be covered but hasnt been finished. It has about 8 stalls.. and no boats at this time. How do I get the soured grain?

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've used range cubes around my dock... I know the bream and small cats eat the range cubes for I've watched them with under water camera.

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    From what I have heard, the range cubes work well at attracting in fish.

6. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Never heard of em. Where can I get some?

7. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    OOPS, my bad. I thought it said baiting a duck:embarassed:

8. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Glenn, You can get range cubes at a local farm supply or feed store. You can also get catfish feed there and all fish will eat it. To make soured corn (or other grain) just fill a 5 gallon bucket about 3/4 full with grain finish filling with water and to speed it up add some yeast or a beer. Put the bucket in the sun away from the house and keep it full of water and you will know when it is soured by the smell. You can cover the container but don't seal it because it will blow up. I use gallon milk jugs because it makes it easier to carry in a boat.

ST

9. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thank you. There is a feed store right down from where I work

10. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I might just try that soured grain idea! How long before they start coming in regularly do you think, in anticipation of the daily dumping? I could also punch holes in a container and toss it out as a long lasting chum source, right?

11. Around here alot of folks take a piece of pvc 3" and up and glue a cap on one end and drill some holes around that end then tie it off to the pier with the holes submerged. Place another cap on the exposed end but do not glue it. Now you can just take the cap off whenever you want and drop in a handful or two of cheap dog food. You can also use soured grain or range cubes as well. I know others who hang an onion sack or croaker sack under a pier. They will take a can or two of fish or seafood flavored cat food punch some holes in it and put it in the bag. This is supposed to draw in cats.

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    thanks for the idea useing milk jugs to sour grain in i have got a bucket going now in a ftve gallon bucket useing sweet feed about week old liver and yeast guys it stinks going to try it soon i forgot and left the liver outside its ripe