Baiting a circle hook..?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by dcconrad, Jul 10, 2007.

1. dcconrad

dcconrad New Member

State:
    ohio fairfield county
    i like the idea of the circle hook. my question is.... what way works the best for you guys? i use shrimp, some dip baits,. for channel.
    now for flaties most people hook them through the eyes or lip hook the bait correct?

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    whatever way you like best is what you should use. i personally like to hook my bait through the back right under the dorsal fin, but the thing with circle hooks is that you want to make sure and have a nice sized gap between the shank of the hook and the hook point.

3. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    for me i try and hook as little of the bait as i can.circles need plenty of space between the point and the shank to be effective.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    that is correct sir your shrimp and dips should be soft enough to not matter. live baits hooked through the head leave the most hook exposed but if you have a big enough circle you can hook um in the back but i usually dont because they fly off easyer

5. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I prefer to hook bluegills behind the dorsal fin, except in heavy current then I'll hook them thru the lips. Shad I always hook thru the eyes, they don't come off as easy that way.