Baiting a Catfish Hole?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Gabowman, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    Assuming it's legal in your area, does anyone ever bait a hole for catfish? Just curious how it's done and if it works.

2. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'm sure it would work, but I think hunting them down is half the fun.

3. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Yes it works really well for eating size cats but in my expierience it doesnt draw in the big ones, i use soured corn.:0a26:

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    have done it with dog feed take a 5gal bucket dill holes and feel with dog food in it. I use a jug some i can pull it up again to fill it again. It seems to hold lots of smaller fish. Kids around here fish that hole most every day here. never did it on the big river but may work just as well

5. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i guess if i was shore bound i would be more inclined to think about baitin a whole if i was kinda desperate...but that would take much of the fun out of fishin.

since i have spent most of my life shorebound and have yet chosen to "bait a hole"....i must declare i have no interest in the event. If i went down to my "spot" and caught a state record every time..i would soon lose interest.

I think i enjoy fishin for the atmosphere of enjoying God's creation and hoping that i have developed enough skills that i can entice the ole whisker mouth to chomp on my presentation..be it live bait, cut bait, or a jig.

laterz
    rc

6. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have thought about it before, maybe with some dogfood or some grain, just haven't found the time to do it yet!

Aaron

TA2D

7. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    ROAD KILL IN a burlap bag tie a line or rope and give it a heeve
    or yeah hold your breath and stab it a few times
    :0a19:

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    there are several ways... the dogfood in the bag/bucket... road kill, etc...

The way i do it (and its more to attract bait to cast net rather then chum up fish) is to take a can of the cheapy stuff at Walmart... (.88 for 4 cans) open the can toss the contents out and wait a while (usually 1/2 hr, maybe more if you really wanted to...) and cast the net over top of it...

Another way using road kill is to tie it over the water from a tree and let it sit for well how ever long you'd like... the flies will come sooner rather then later, and lay eggs which hatch into maggots which some will fall in the water attracting baitfish, then those attract gamefish...

I'm slightly surprised noone has brought up soured grain either... get a 50 lb bag of your favorite grain... some like cracked corn, other like milo, there are a bunch of options... anyway... empty it into a container... couple of 5 gal buckets, a 55 gal drum, what ever you like... Fill it up with water till you get it atleast 1 inch over the top of the grain... I personally like having it more then that... Now you can dump in a cheap beer or 2 if you'd like to speed up the process but its not nessessary... Anyway let this ferment for about 2 weeks maybe longer... (i have one thats been going for over a year now and i just haven't used it yet...) anyway take about a gallon of that out there on the water... spread it out into a couple spots in the lake and in about an hr or so (depending on if you use a boat or walk) when you come back to the first spot there should be some good catfish up in there...

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont think baiting and hole, is a good idea, I think u need to try to entice them with a live bait and line.