Baiting A Carp hole

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by DemolitionMan, Jul 23, 2007.

1. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Has anyone ever "baited" a carp hole before...I fish an old river and was wondering how/what the best "bait" to put in the gunny sack???? I'm sure someone can helps with chums/bait....Dwight

2. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    I always just throw out a couple hands full of corn seems to work.

3. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    take a can of corn and put it in a square of cheese cloth with a rock, bring all corners together and twisty tie them :big_smile:

4. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    That sounds too easy...lol....My grandfather use a bait in a gunny sack and kept it in the water 24/7....I guess it's gonna be corn then....I like the simplicity of canned sweet corn....I also have some Star anise seeds and some vanilla extract I can add also.....I also read an article a few minites ago that said "scents" can get tooo strong for carp, is that true????Dwight

5. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    corn, maize, hard corn soaked a few day in a bucket of water left in the sun.
    mothers oats mixed with flour and corn meal made into large balls throw out to desolve slowly.
    day old bread used as chum. sweet things ,vanila ,rootbeer,anise,banna, velveta chees,pineapple flavor.
    protein stuff, sweet stuff, shrimp,worms. best one is anything with corn.
    lol:wink:

6. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    wen i go to the river and bait a hole for carp sometimes i put cat food,bread,corn,millet but i always heard that dont put the same bait that u fish with in the water or sometimes they wont bite yours

well hope this helps:boss:

7. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks fellas,

Yeah, it would seem counterproductive to bait with the same bait you're fishing with....I would say put something in to attract em, then use their favorite flavors to catch em with.....Dwight

8. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Throw a bale of alfalfa in hole then look out!!!

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I wonder if alfalfa pellets would work????I'm not sure whether I can find alfalfa hay around this area....Soybean hay maybe?????Dwight

10. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    just dump a couple bags of scratch feed into the water.works good with the buffs to.

11. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    if you have a tractor supply store near they have alfalfa hay cubes for the horse guys. they are just alfalfa pressed into a cattle cube. we have used them for catfish and they work but are more expensive than cattle cubes.

12. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I've got a TSC here....I'll have to check em out....They would be good to throw from the bank.....Thanks, Dwight

13. dab_602000

dab_602000 New Member

State:
    Ft. Worth Texas
    I use cattle cubes. Buy a bag of cubes and throw them out where you fish. They sink to the bottom and dissolve real slow. It attracts carp and catfish

14. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    dab_602000, We used them this past weekend and had Good Success. I have found that they attract Catfish more than Carp in my area. Yet the fish bit well on them. Range Cubes as they are called will WORK!
    DemolitionMan,If you are going to CHUM an area , you should get whatever you are able to in the area for a while before fishing it if you have not fished it befoe. YES, you can have too much flavoring and it can turn the fish OFF. Trial and Error will be the way to GO. Add a Little and GO up from there. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

15. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    do not use the alfalfa in the water. A little goes along way in your bait. We tried alfalfa once i think that it is too rich or something, we ran all the fish (including minnows) out of a hole in just one use of this stuff. I use the cheapest range cubes for bait. Try to get some with high molases content to get more carp in. Use some with no molases to bring in the cats. The molases brings in cats too, but i when i bait a cat hole i dont want it filled with carp.

16. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Hoppy,

How far ahead of time did you bait the hole with the cubes? I've been told by some that it takes as long as 3 days and by others just a few hours.

17. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    don't mean to answer for someone, but we bait a hole the day before as close to 24hrs as we can get before we start fishing. Then when it is time to fish, throw a couple hand fulls into the water. this seems to keep the fish in the area for several hrs. when they stop toss another couple hand fulls. Be sure that u have regular range cubes not the cottonseed cubes. The cotton seed takes several hrs to melt where the regular cubes will be dissolved in 20 mins.
    We did tests on this while making bait, and when chumming. we dropped a cube of each in shallow water and watched them.
    Alot of times we will use the cotton seed cubes to chum day before, they are cheaper here, and use the others for chumming when we fish.

18. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Thanks for jumping in! I guess our big fear is that we will get a hole baited and come back the next day and watch somebody leaving with a limit of fish from our spot. I guess you take your chances, right?

If you want to see something amazing with those cattle cubes, take a 5 gallon bucket and drill about 10 small holes in it. Drill them all around the sides. Drill one hole near the top so that air can get out. Fill it with the cubes and put the lid back on tight. Then tie a rope to the handle and tie the other end of the rope to a dock so the top of the bucket is just barely under the water. Make sure you tie it up good because the big carp will just knock the snot out of it. It takes them a little while to find it, but when they do the water will just boil around it. They will keep sucking on that bucket until they get everything out of it.

Do you bait deep holes in the winter time in cold water?

19. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    At the beginning of the summer we would fill a sack with corn, old dog food, and any old cotton seed cakes we had left over from the year before. Nail it to the side of the dock and leave it there for the summer. We weren't trying to bring in only carp though, we wanted anything we could get. The good thing was anytime during the summer we wanted to fish off the dock we could and caught catfish, carp, buffalo, bluegills....:wink:

20. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    DEFINATLY!!
    Carp and buffalo eat just as much in cold water. I actually do alot of buff fishing in the winter.