Baitfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by FLOAT TRIP WILLIE, Jul 6, 2007.

1. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    quick question, how do i keep bluegil alive,
    by the time I get to the river thier all dead.:sad2:
    I never fished with live bg, but I seen alot of
    people do it. they tell me its the best bait for
    big flatties. If you have any info on keeping
    them alive and kicking that will be very
    helpful. thanks boc.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I usually just put them in a cooler with a small aerator, and they seem to do just fine. Those battery opperated bubble boxes work fine, but I replace the small bubble stone with a longer one. You can keep a couple dozen alive in a 5 gallon bucket this way, or more in a cooler. If I'm gonna be out all night in a boat, I use a bigger one that connects to a deep cycle battery.

3. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    YEA I HAVE AN ARERATED COOLER AND I CAN KEEP 100 IN IT ALIVE FOR 6 TO 12 HOURS...ITS SMALL AND COMPACT AND IT WORKS GREAT...THE AERATER WAS ONLY LIKE 30 BUCKS AND I JUST USED AN OLD COOLER I HAD...MAKE SURE U HAVE GOOD COLD WELL WATER THAT HELPS TOO.

4. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    thanks guy I got a old cooler, I'll shop around and see can i find a good aerator.

5. buckfeverbob

buckfeverbob New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I try and change out the water as often as possible. I think I heard that it isn't the lack of oxygen that kills them in confined spaces, but the amount of ammonia (urine) that does them in. I keep a stock tank under my gutter at the house for good, clean water. I also like to freeze a couple 2 liter bottles of water to throw in the livewell to keep the water cool and help keep their metabolism down a bit. When I get to the river the livewell is on alot and If I am staying overnight they go in a fish basket in the water.

Good luck

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A 5 gallon bucket would work to.

7. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    try getting some black saltys they are supper hardy flats love themmmmm.they are easy to keep water and a little air keep them for months feed them gold fish food or bread dried and crumbledevery two days or so.........

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    black saltys work pretty well. if you want to keep your gills alive keep them in a cooler with a bubble stone.you can get one at petsmart for about 10 to 15 bucks. i took an old 56 qt cooler and drilled a hole in the top to run the tube for the bubble stone. then i put some off the expanding insulation (the kind in the aerosol can) around the tube to seal it off. i screwed the aerator to the top of the cooler and it works like a champ. i like it because if you want to use cut bait you can cut them on top of the cooler, but it also works well to keep them alive.

9. kenmany

kenmany New Member

State:
    NC
    I do the same as about everyone has already said. If no livewell, i use a cooler w/ an arerator. I did read something interesting on here a few months back. Forgot what catagory it was in. Someone said, if you didnt have an arerator for the cooler/bucket, you could drop a handful of ice in every once in a while and the melting phase of a solid to a liquid created oxygen bubbles. Sounds good anyway, huh?