Baitfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL FLORIDA TALK' started by bigmaac73, Jan 29, 2007.

1. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    Just wondering what kind of baitfish you all use down here. I have been down to the river a couple of times and seems like mostly it is those red tailed shiners. I have gotten a few suckers, and I do mean just a few. They are a rare find. It is tough to find a place to throw a cast net in the river here, I have lost 4 already. I was wondering if any of the baitfish you catch at the docks in the bay work for the cats down here. Seems like they might being so close to salt water and all. Anyways, I heard that there are shad here, but can't find them. What do ya'll use?

2. TRYINGFORCATS

TRYINGFORCATS New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    WE USUALLY GO WITH BREAM OR CREEK SHINERS. BUT WILL USE ANY. WE CAUGHT 4 SATURDAYON CUT SHINERS IN A DEEP HOLE NEAR SMOKEHOUSE LAKE ON THE CHOCTAWHATCHEE RIVER

3. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    I figured shiners were pretty good since there were so many of them. When I throw my cast net that is usually all I get. A sucker every once in a while. Anyone ever try any of the saltwater baitfish. There is one that I see alot of people catching on the piers here in the bay. any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

4. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Bluegill,shad & red tail shinners,you can't net the gills you can only use them for bait if you catch them on R & R now. Spillways areas of dams are good places to net shad.

If your near the saltwater and fishing around the river outlets try large live shrimp. Fish them whole or cut in half on a slip rig. No Roll sinkers are best in most cases keep your bait off the bottom a few inches. That way the large cats can get the bait easier without having to pick up the bait from inbetween tight rocks. Also you could try using some cut mullet fished the same way. I'm not sure of the name but there is a small mullet used for baitfish in saltwater if you can find them try them. Other salfwater baitfish should work as well in those areas.

In Fl you got to find you a few really good areas and do your netting in those ares only. Here is what you can do to keep from messing up nets so much,put a heavy lead on a R & R and cast it out and drag the area. Cast and drag about a foot inbetween each cast thru the whole area,by doing this you will know where the rocks & snags are before casting your net in that area. If I drag an area like that I wait a while before trying to catch bait in that area.

I was just telling the guys about having the lead off 8-9 nets here that I've found,I was gonna melt them down and make sinkers but changed my mind. Now I'm just gonna try adding a slip tub to the leads to use them as slip sinkers. I think some of the guy's thought I was joking,but I find trashed net ALL the time. But I guess you know about all the trashed nets in Fl already. LOL

5. FloridaBoy

FloridaBoy New Member

State:
    Florida
    I found that Spanish sardines, Scaled sardines and any of the greenbacks netted in Tampa bay area work well as cut bait for fresh or salt water cats also shrimp work very well for both too. Don't let anyone tell you that salt water cats are not good to eat I actually prefer salt cats to fresh. If your in the Tampa area give me a shout and I can give you some pointers on where to go.

6. catfishhunter17

catfishhunter17 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i use shad bluegill and creek chubs 3 inchers

7. FloridaBoy

FloridaBoy New Member

State:
    Florida
    Fresh water Shad are not very easy to come by down here very few lakes have shad in them and I haven't seen or heard of any in our rivers.

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    make sure its leagle then go to the bay and catch some mullet.any size will do.i used to fish the guadalupe river in texas with trot lines and we got our bait from the bay.catches any kind of catfish including flatheads.use small ones whole and cut up the bigger ones.johnnie