Baitfish talk

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by kenlaw76, Jul 19, 2008.

1. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Just wondering what you guys like to use and how ya catch it! I went out bait wrangling this morning on the Delaware and caught about 100 gills (40 I kept) and a couple of fat perch (all of witch I kept:wink:. I was using worms in some back water.

Attached Files:

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Ken, I tend to use Gulp maggots & corn when catching bait. All I have had time to do is catch baitfish on a catch & release basis lately.
    :crazy: I need to get back out for some catfish.

3. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    A few of the areas I fish on the Allegh. are polluted with white bass. Its great because all I have to do is take along a spinning setup and a 1/4 oz white rooster tail. The only problem is that its hard to catch small ones. They seem to be very hardy though but they do seem to like to go to the deepest spot they can get to when on the hook. Rock bass are great too, very hardy and as easy to catch as gills when at the creek. Anyone ever try bull frogs?

4. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    Ken I usually use gills or BIG suckers and chubs. I have been using white bass when I can catch them. The best I have used was live trout. Kept one alive in my bait tank and when I got a chance to use it I got a screaming run 2 min. after I put the rod down. After my swing and miss I was left with a dead mashed trout, oddly no hits on it after since my best cat was on dead trout.

5. Fishing Addict

Fishing Addict Member

State:
    Spring Church, Pa
    I've had the most luck on gills, used suckers & chubs in the past with not much luck. Lately I havent had any luck at all though. Goin to try some slower water tomorow nite I think.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I usually use Bluegill that I catch at several local ponds. I take a ultra-light rod, a small hook & bobber and put 3 maggots on. I would much rather use White Bass, Crappie or Perch but getting them is not as easy as the Bluegills.

7. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Blue Gills and the occasional perch out of area ponds. Mostly Gills. I use an ultra light rod, 4lb test, #10 circle hook, bobber, and night crawlers cut in approx 1-2" pieces so it leaves enough to dangle and twitch a little bit. I don't know about everyone else, but it usually takes me hours just to get enough bait for a night of fishing......It's still fishing but it seems to turn more into a job for me after spending enough time out in the heat.......I've actually been thinking lately of asking the farmers if I can use a cast net in their ponds. Throw it out, bring in 20 at a time, throw back anythilng small or that you don't want, bass etc....Get enough for your night and go fishing.

8. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Pretty much use anything that swims. Catch rock bass on green worms bluegills and chubs on maggots. White bass are great but have been having trouble getting them this year. I had a nice run last night on a cut drum head. Suckers are prime if you can get them. Trout dead live smashed cut it just dont matter with trout.

9. FLATHEAD LBER

FLATHEAD LBER New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh PA
    i will use anything from gills rock bass suckers,big chubs,trout and im gonna try something this summer i never tried before,roadkill.something like a little rabbit or a squrriel,you never know till you try it.i just love huge pieces of bait you might not get as much action but when you do its usally worth the wait

10. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I have had the best luck on gills and crappie. I got a nice run lastnight on a pearch about 8" but I never caught anything on perch. Do you guys think frozen trout would work?

11. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I caught my pb channel on a chunk of rainbow trout

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Seems like anytime I have used a dead Trout for bait I get non stop nibbles until I reel it in and the only thing left is the skin! :crazy:

13. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    i have never tried trout as bait i mainly use chunks of shrimp or chicken livers and i have had pretty decent luck so far this year so far the heat slowed my action for a little while but now I have been hittin some fat carp and some channels ranging from 20"-33" now my situation has changed so I will be able to get out about 3 am till i feel like leaving so maybe I might get lucky and get a flathead has there ever been any documented flats from Birdsboro ,pa area?I know about blue marsh but I like the schuylkill river better I've caught some nice channels I just wondered if those flats make it up my way

14. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I'm sure there is some up that way in the Skuke. 3 a.m. might be the best time to find out. :wink:

15. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    Gettin bait from a pond is easier but I dont think they work as well as baits from running water.The best baits are caught from the same water your catfishing. Fri night I tryed to get some yellow bullhead for sat nights trip.They wouldnt cooperate though.So i figured Id go to a pond at 1st light to beat the heat.Made the mistake of getting to many. My personal favorites are green sunfish, rockbass, and, big fall fish

16. shane hershey

shane hershey New Member

State:
    pa
    rock bass are pretty reliable baits

17. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I went out to get some bait yesterday for lastnight. I went to a spot that I haven't tried yet to see the quality of bait that was present in the creek I was fishing. I was pretty happy with the outcome. I caught bout 80 baits in 2 hrs and kept about 50. The smallest bait I kept was 6".

18. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Here are some pics of the bait I caught yesterday.

Attached Files:

19. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    Any good suggestion on local ponds or lakes to catch bait fish. My little ones love to catch them... then i can re-use them.

Recycle...

20. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Some healthy gills you got their Ken. We fished another area for some bait seems to be more numbers but a bit on the smaller side. We kept about 15 of the bigger ones.