Baitfish Species Study

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by nathan8372, Nov 28, 2006.

1. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    What is the interest in doing an in-depth study of the various baitfish species pertaining to the catfish?

We were looking at doing a breakdown of each species, studying habitats, feeding and spawning patterns as well as basic identification.

Let us know what you think and/or if you would like to participate.

Nathan

2. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like a great idea to me. Alot of folks are not familiar with many aspects of the different species of minnows and other bait fish available to use for catfish.

I am sure some would be interested in knowing where they live and how hardy they are, or how they keep frozen or preserved.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    There are so many different types of bait fishes that work. I've used freshwater mullet, blue gills, shad, little quarter inch river minnows threaded on the hook like worms, drum, carp, and many others. And, each part of the country has different types of bait fish available. A few, like California, don't even allow you to use live bait, except worms maybe. Then, there is the crustacean group. Defining the different types of bait fishes is a task all unto itself, then there's the task of determining how well each works.

4. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    ...so would you like to participate?

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    in the Catfish Insider from 2004 there was a very very good study of the movement and habits of shad and how this relates to blue cats in a large resevoir. it was very good, i would check it out.

6. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    How would I go about participating? What is involved?

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Just what is the objective? Is it to determine what baits BOC members use, what's most effective, what catfish like to eat? Most state fish and game departments have information on what catfish prefer, as do many colleges and university. Sometimes, the baits used by cat fisherman have little relationship to what is found in native waters...goldfish, for instance, or shiners.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
  9. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    The study will be about the topics listed in the original thread post. Here is a list of only a few baitfish that I've uncovered.

I want to learn everything about them and spread the word that if you can find and understand baitifsh then you will be a sucaessful catfisherman.

We can do this as a team by contacting our state's local agencies and see if they know anything about the fish you use. Also, you can conduct your own study on these topics and relay info back here.

Example:
    Family Hiodontidae--Mooneye Family
    goldeye--Hiodon alosoides mooneye--Hiodon tergisus
    Family Clupeidae--Herring Family
    Alabama shad--Alosa alabamae
    skipjack herring--Alosa chrysochloris
    alewife--Alosa pseudoharengus
    gizzard shad--Dorosoma cepedianum
    threadfin shad--Dorosoma petenense
    Family Cyprinidae--Minnow Family
    central stoneroller-- Campostoma anomalum
    largescale stoneroller-- Campostoma oligolepis
    goldfish-- Carassius auratus
    lake chub-- Couesius plumbeus
    grass carp-- Ctenopharyngodon idella

And so on...

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
  11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Great idea Nate with a ton of potential. Would love to see eels added to the potential list. Looks like it could be a great article for the board article section. Don't really know how I could help. But, with the rite direction I am a good soldier. LOL!

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The herring family probably needs to be broken down into species used for bait. Otherwise, you get a lot of information on the Atlantic herring and others like the Tarpon.

13. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nathan is on to something here that is needed for our Sport. We need a better understanding of not only the Families, but also the particular Species break down starting with the various bait fish in general. There still is a lot of research that is needed. We can always add in the various Eels, worms, leaches, crawdads etc. later depending upon how this goes.

Sure you can go to all the various DNR sites and get bits and pieces of information. What he is wanting to do is have it all here so that we can archive it and learn from it. Then, if we cant find out the information that we are looking for, contact various State Agencies so they can help us. I have already contacted the Missouri Dept and they are willing to help us in any way that they can for example.

We do not need any examples as the objective of this thread is to simply poll the membership here in BOC about doing this type of project as he statedÂ… What is the interest in doing an in-depth study of the various bait fish species pertaining to the catfish?. Basically, if the interest is here, we can then contact Paul to start another section for this so that we can list the various outlines of these fish and compound the various information to each one.

14. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The examples I've given are to determine exactly what kind of information is being sought. Whether here are another thread, there needs to be an exact explanation of what, where, and how the information is to be collected if BOC members are to be part of the study. It may even be better if there was a place to send the information without it being posted, allow Nathan or whomever to scan and determine its merits and then it being placed on the forum.

15. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Again.. You missed the point and am putting the cart ahead of the horse.

16. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I'm game. If something comes of this, shoot me a PM, let me know what you need. Can't promise I'll be able can keep up with this thread later on down the line. I've got some contacts through family and friends plus don't mind doing the research myself.

17. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    FishBrew,

Thanks man, I sure will.

18. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    same here, if ya'll need me to do any research i will. just PM me

19. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Nope, the point may be do we want a study, but its important to know what that study entails and how its to be done. I see too many useless studies, to support one, more information should be given on how it's going to work. This is as good a place as any to at least put into place the skeleton of how it will be done. Its simple enough to say "yes" I want a study, but there is more to any study than just wanting to see it done.

20. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    This statement infers that here is where the study will take place.