Baitfish question

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Smuggo, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    My wifes uncle has a pond That he stocked with channels and bream. He knows I fish a good bit and told me to cast net as many small bream that I wanted to use for bait. Seems when he stocked the pond he did'nt get the balance right to support a healthy bream population...the little bream have taken over,there lierally thousands of smallish 2-3 inch bream with very few decent eaters.

My question is: Is it legal to net these bream and transport to the lake as bait?

I know that the DNR officer would not know that my story was fact and would prolly give me a ticket...It just seems a waste to needlessly cull out the population to get a healthy pond.

BTW...bass were recently stocked to help balance the ponds ecosysytem

Just wondering if there was a loophole in the law that would allow me to use these little guys...maybe a note from home...lol

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I dont think there is any way around it except that there is no way they would ever know that how you caught them and I doubt they are riding around trying to catch people trowing cast nets in local private ponds. If you dont feel right doing ot than get a big group of kids and 4 boxes of wax worms and let them reel-in all the baitfish they can stand. I have special hooks that I use to catch shiners and they are killer on little bream. #16 mustad long shank hook. If you need I will come by and catch all I can stand.LOL

3. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    I don't believe there's a problem on a private pond. You don't even need a license to fish on a private pond. By what you described, I'd say the guy has a major problem with his pond's balance and adding bass isn't going to help. When DNR fisheries biologist used to do pond checks and found what you describe, they would recommend draining the pond, killing all remaining fish, and starting over.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    in PA as long as you werent releasing them into the new water to swim free then you'd be ok. but then its a panfish, how are they to tell? unless it was from lake erie then you cant use anywhere other then erie because of some disease problem out there.

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    A bream is a gamefish and you can legally use for bait if caught on rod and reel. I was told once that I couldnt haul 6 inch bass to santee to use for bait because there is a 12 inch size limit down there even if they were caught up state where there is no size limit. so I would say dont tell them how you caught them just be sure not to have over you're daily creel limit which is 30 per person and you should be fine.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Larry, I read the regulations and there is no listed exception for private ponds. No license is required, but it DOES NOT say there is an exception to cast netting for bream or creel limits.

I would bet the same rules apply since you could have 200 bluegill in a cooler, and say you caught them on a private pond, and there would be no way the DNR officer could prove you wrong.

I will ask my game warden buddy and see what he says.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    There are no regs as to private ponds, but when you get out on public roads/property, you'd better be in compliance with the regulations, or have :wink:good proof of where all those fish came from.

8. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I thought it used to be law that only the owner of the pond and his family were exempt from license requirements in SC. Has this changed or is my memory faulty?

Seems like it used to be that someone caught by the Game Warden trespassing and fishing in your pond was also charged with no license if they didn't have one??????

9. johnboy

johnboy New Member

State:
    Columbia SC
    This is how it is....you own every fish in your private pond and you can do what you will with em....but if you are out on lake marion with 31 bream or a bass not to size...uh oh!

10. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    Thanks for the input guys. Seems like I need to follow the rules by sticking to creel limits and only using bream caught on hook and line.

Common sense dictates that I should be able to use these fish but the un-ethical fishermen could use my story as an excuse to net healthy lake bream.

Maybe I just keep 30 nice ones, poke a hole in their lip and throw the other 200 away....

11. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    just remember...its only illiegal if ya get caught lol

12. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    Just take 30 per person each time you go fishing.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I spoke to the SCDNR game warden about it. He said creel limits, license requirements, manner of taking, and other restrictions do no apply to private ponds unless the ponds are drained or the fish are sold.

So, cast net all you want to on th eprivate pond for bream, but I would not want to get caught out on a public lake with 100 freshly killed bream.

14. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    But does that mean you can go to santee for ex, and have more than your daily creel limit? I wouldnt try it.

15. ARwhiteskin

ARwhiteskin New Member

State:
    Arkansas...by God!
    Smuggo, you beat me to it. :wink: I was gonna suggest that, but only half joking. It would be a little dishonest. But, I agree with the fish belonging to you. What a nice problem to have though. I think I would just try to catch enough, on a pole, to fish with and then there wouldnt be a problem. They aren't hard to keep alive, if thats how you wanted to use them. And, if you were gonna use them as cutbait it wouldnt matter at all as long as you iced em down. If they are stacked in there like that, it shouldnt be to hard to catch a bunch.

16. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I wouldn't go over the creel limit for the lake you are fishing. Its illegal to be over the limit anyway go about it. All the game warden has to prove is you are on public waters that had a limit and you are over that limit.

17. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I love catching bait as much as going fishing sometimes. Before a tournament I will dedicate at least 2 days before hand to catch and hand pick my bait and all on an ultralite. I get just as excitied about catching a huge10" shinner as I do catching that 30lb flathead that I will present him to. You can talk to anyone that has fished with me all I will talk about is how awsemome thae bait I caught looks. I LOVE CATCHING BAIT!

18. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    what they don't know doesn't hurt them right