baitfish question

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by rcbbracing, May 4, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Might be a dumb question but i was curious how the law was set up for ohio on using gamefish for bait. I mean if i catch them out of a private pond can i use them? Just curious how this worked...thanks!

2. Natty Cat

Natty Cat New Member

State:
    ohio
    As long as you catch the fish legally it may be used as bait.

3. spawnallica

spawnallica New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think it's illegal to use game fish as bait in Ohio, and probably most of the United States. It wouldn't matter if it was a pond fish or not. Being that it is a game fish says it all. It's not worth the trouble.
    There are plenty of other bait fish you can use....

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I don't know for sure the laws for "game fish". But the way it was explained to me fore baitfish in general, is that the fish may not be caught in one body of water and used in another, which is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. So basically what that means, is if we go to a creek and catch chubs, then take them to the river or lake and use them for bait, "technically" we are breaking the law...Makes a whole lotta sense doesn't it??:eek:oooh:

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Long as you catch them with a hook you can use them for bait. I wish we could use them for bait in KY, about the only good use for a ba$$ is bait.:smile2: I like to use extra large baits for Flatties and gills over a pound are hard to come by...:smile2: I guess thats why I like to fish a lot in WV & OH, you can use the good baits there.:roll_eyes:

6. spawnallica

spawnallica New Member

State:
    Texas
    But if I'm correct, he is talking about using Channel cats as bait!!!

7. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was indeed curious about channel cats yes BUT not really in this post...I wasnt asking cuz i was looking to do it...I use chubs gills and suckers 98% of the time. I was talking about channel cats in my desperation of not finding any bullheads. I was more curious about stories that i hear from other people. I hear of people using some of what i would consider some really really illegal gamefish for bait. When i ask how they get away with it...they say they caught them on rod and real in their own private ponds. I wasnt looking to do this ANYTIME soon, it was more or less just for curiosities sake and to settle a disagreement i had with a buddy or two lol....dont get the wrong idea about me...I dont want to hurt any populations of gamefish for bait purposes. Heck ive never cleaned a channel cat that ive caught just because i would like to catch them next time lol:big_smile:

8. spawnallica

spawnallica New Member

State:
    Texas
    I tried getting the info just to be sure, but couldn't find any detail carved in stone. I called ODNR and they were not too sure, so they directed me to a law enforcement voicemail box. If they call me back I will post with the details.
    I just know that in TX, I can't fish with game fish.

9. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks spawnallica....I appreciate your help....I wasnt looking to actually do it so wasnt so ambitious as to actually check...i was just hoping someone would know off the top of their head....but appreciate it and hope they get back to ya!

10. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    lol i hope he called oh. dnr not tx dnr but to see what they say will be interesting pls do post the answer

11. nixmkt

nixmkt New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Natty Cat and catfishjohn are correct. You can use game fish for bait in Ohio as long as you catch them on rod and reel. Forage fish may be taken with a net. Baitfish can be transported from one body of water to another with some limitations, including VHS disease spread prevention restrictions by the Ohio Dept. of Agriculture. RetiredToFish posted this info. on tranporting baitfish:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89080

ODNR created this video on catching bait and some of the regs are discussed in it: http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/19708/Default.aspx

12. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Just make good and sure that if there is size or amount limits on the type of game fish that you are using that you go by them. Say you caught a 10" bass in a private pond and decided to use it in your local lake as bait and the size limit at that lake is 15" you are illegal. But if using a 16" bass for bait then you are legal. Game fish have to be taken by legal means for the species also. So don't go out cast netting gills or crappies and keep them for bait. Hope this helps ya some.

13. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For proof all you have to do is look in the Ohio DNR Sport Fish of Ohio identification pamphlet. On page 44 under bluegill: it reads "Other sunfish and small game fish may also be used for bait if they are acquired legally. "

14. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

I've used baby channels once or twice.... far as I can tell nothin' illegal about it(if gamefish were illegal to use as bait then that would also eliminate bluegills as a source of bait because they are gamefish).

I don't do it anymore though... mainly because i didn't have any luck with 'em and my favorite live baits are bluegills, shad and minnows.... also those baby channels are just too darn cute, and it just breaks my heart to have the little guys lookin' up at me and barkin' as I'm putting a hook through 'em.

Which brings me to another point.... why do we call them catfish when several species actually have an audible "bark" like a dog(or more correctly, like a frog)???

15. spawnallica

spawnallica New Member

State:
    Texas
    LOL....I called ODNR, but they haven't called back. It looks like the locals know what they're talking about though!

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There is no better flathead bait than small mouth bass. Little channels work fine as do small flatheads. Now be careful with the Madtoms some of them are endangered :wink:

17. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Its written down in the DNR fish id book, so you wouldn't have anything to worry about.

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you catch the fish legaly it can be used for bait, game fish or not...I use legally caught bass all the time.

19. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well I think that as long as you are not useing live gold fish or something in a public body of water like the River you should be OK.
    I also have seen people net dead cat fish floating around the lake they cut them up and used them for bait Im not sure if the bait worked.
    Hope this info was helpful.
    :embarassed::confused2:

20. St.Croix_2010

St.Croix_2010 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You are NOT allowed to use bass, small or largemouth...most common baits are skipjack, suckers, shad, bluegill, chubs, and cut carp...