Baitfish on area lakes?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Ghost River, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    You fellow that fish Norman and Wylie and Hickory regularly, How are you catching your baitfish. I understand that Norman has schools of shad and herring but I've never caught any.

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Bro., go to the skimmer wall (next to the Hwy. 150 bridge) prior to sunrise and 45 minutes prior to sunset and cast your net over the wall. Look for swirls in the water and cast to them. DO NOT STAND ON THE WALL, BECAUSE THE MAN WILL GIVE YOU A TICKET! Also, you can go to the back of some creeks and coves and maybe find some bait. All the guides go to the skimmer wall for their bait.

3. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    When I go and Striper fish at Lake Hickory my buddy puts in at I believe its called Gunpowder Creek. We go a few yards from the ramp and catch all the bait we need. The only problem that I have had there is catching small catfish in the cast net. He goes there in the mornings if he has a trip on Norman to catch bait. On Wylie Ive found shad in the backs of the creeks when the water warms up. I dont know about now though.

4. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Small catfish in your net is like having treble hooks in your morning cereal. A nasty way to start the day! Bloody up the ole fingers getting 'em out.

5. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Thanks man. One more question, is the skimmer wall good for bait year 'round or just this time of the year.