Baitfish in Smith Mountain Lake

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mr.whiskers83, Sep 2, 2008.

1. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    I was just wondering what types of baitfish are present in SML. I know there are shad but what kind? They look like alewives but could also be hickory shad, I'm not sure. Went fishing Sunday night and there was plenty of baitfish there just small. Just thought I would ask to see if anyone could give me some info.

2. clatorlakecat

clatorlakecat New Member

State:
    va
    SML HAS THE SAME BAIT AS CRATOR LAKE GIZZARD SHAD LY'S AS FAR AS I KNOW I FISH CRATORLAKE MORE SO THAN SMITH I CAT FISH MAINLY USE BLUE GILLS OR GIZZARD SHADS

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    sml has alwives gizzard and threadfin shad. i was around hardy area last week and was catching 40-50 small alwives and a few 3-5 inch threadfins every time i threw the net

4. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va

That is what I thought were in there. I went a couple weeks ago and everything that came to the light was pretty small except for a few that were 3-5 inches. We were up blackwater and there was a ball of bait fish under the light had to be 12-15 feet across. Lots and lots of bait just not that big. We still caught a good mess of fish but nothing big.