Baitfish in KCK lakes or creeks?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by brad kilpatrick, May 18, 2006.

1. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    does anyone know any local KCK lakes or creeks that you can throw net up some bait in. With the river dropping Its been hard to get enough bait, I would like to get some caught up to have as a back up

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Brad, try running down to Riverfront Park. Just immediately above the ramp on the same side there is a trail dike? along the channel with a pretty nice backwater area. There was bait showing on the depthfinder but I didn't even throw my net once. I've only got Sunday to fish this weekend and will probably take frozen shad and try to catch live bait at this spot. There is also an island downstream with a lot of shallow backwater areas. Check Google Earth and you will see it. I don't know what size motor you are running, but my massive 20hp Evinrude only made the trip in 10-15 minutes. Good Luck!

3. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I take large shad out of Olathe Lake, and bluegills out of Shawnee Mission Park. Can't say that I know of any good spots in KCK.
    Brad, I need more posts before I can reply to your PM, but I will soon.
    Thanks,
    Rick Porter

4. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well, I dont know of anywhere that you can really throw a cast net besides of course Lake Olathe, but just about every little creek around here you can either throw a charlie bee (made by Slider, you can get them at Cabelas) or a worm and bobber out in them and catch some gills or sunfish. If you are looking for shad, I cant help you though.

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Shad were spawning on the bank at smithville this morning,had my dip net and 5 gallon bucket,put them both to good use!!Heading out in the a.m. again...stocking up.:roll_eyes: even though the limit is 50