Baitfish holder

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by ohio catfisherman, Apr 3, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i know they sell buckets and collers with airators but i was wondering if anyone knows a cheap way to make something that will keep my bluegills and chubs alive

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Cheap really won't do the trick for the long haul.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    All kinds of different stuff in the library.Just about any type/kind you'd want to make.

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    If u r fishin ponds as in your profile, plastic 5 gal buckets with holes drilled all over the sides and the lid on will hold them in the pond.

If u have a truck keep about 3 buckets of water in the back to to transport them.

:cool2:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post. Check out the BOC Library. Also, sometimes you have to spend money to save you money. Do it right the first time.:lol: :big_smile:

6. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Luke,
    Nothing good comes easy or cheap, but assuming you have some carpentry skills and tools you can make your own built-in and portable for very little money -just some effort.

A square tank to me is more of a "death well" than a live well. Boat makers are just lately realizing that us freshwater fishermen understand this and are offering round bait tanks.

Round not square so fish can swim and insulated with
    splash guards to help prevent "washing effect" from sudden movement in boat or in car.

I use 55gal plastic drum with handles cut out from drum itself.
    Tank is sized by you when you cut the drum down. Best I have found for a portable is to have approx 24inches from bottom to lid top.

In boats I make little bigger/smaller depending on needs. In boat it becomes a "seat/live well" with built in handles securely fastened to floor and plumbed with overflows (mid and high).

The circular top is cut from plywood and has a hinged cutout for access. The "splash guard" is attached to bottom side of top and is taken from a cut off of a 5 gal pale ( no sharp edges) and acts like a baffle.
    I aerate with a bilge pump circulating water in the tank. I never found it necessary to filter, but others have and seem to like it.
    To insulate I use the thin air bubble/aluminum (1/4inch) thinsulate found at homecenters contact cemented to the drum. I then cover that with IO carpet.

I can keep bait alive for days when others cannot. Skipjack do well also.

These days I dont care if bait is live or dead as I am chasing blues not flatheads and usually get bait from same locations that I fish, but these tanks do work well.

Also like the others said check the library, sure there is good info there. Best of luck chasing em!

7. MaysvilleCatfish

MaysvilleCatfish New Member

State:
    kentucky
    a small battery powered air pump is only about 8 bucks and itll save alot of hassle.:big_smile: