Baitfish for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bigtimingcats69, Mar 15, 2006.

1. bigtimingcats69

bigtimingcats69 New Member

State:
    Stuart, Virginia
    i was wondering if you could use baitfish caught out of streams and creeks for bait for flattys. I always catch a lot of notty heads (you may not be familiar with these) and other things such as small grass carp and small trout. Anybody ever have any luck with these or have any suggestions?

2. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    Just make sure you check your state's regs. I use bluegill, chubs, carp, etc. Just make sure it is legal. I am pretty sure they will eat anything that swims!

3. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    shad and bluegills,or find some small yellowbellies.all are great for cats

4. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Knotty heads....? I think you might be catching some type of creek chub there. I use gills and rockbass but, every state has a different set of rules to govern over us.

5. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We call them horny heads in N.C. They do make good flathead bait. Just about anything that swims is prey for a flathead. The best bait is one that is lively and hardy. Bream, gold fish and horny heads are good lively fish and will entice the ole flathead to eat it. Just catching a horny head big enough, though can be a problem. Every once in a while, I'll catch one that is blue. Now that is a wild looking fish. Usually you need one at least 5 inches long to use. Trout is a different story though. They are not a hardy fish and most states don't allow trout to be used as bait unless it is farm raised. Hear in N.C. you can use them but you had better have your receipt on you, but i don't use them for flatheads, I use them for blues or stipers. They just don't live with an 8/0 hook impaled through them.

6. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I've found a nice little pond, loaded with 6 inch chubs!! My tank is full of em'. If only the weather would cooperate with me.......................
    Oh, yeah.. wax worms can be the key to catching these guys. Haven't had much luck with anything other than small crawlers and wax worms

7. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I always siene chubs, bullheads, and green sunfish out of small pools in creeks by my house, they work fine for flatheads.

8. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    i use bluegills cut shad or creek chubs

9. steilburnr

steilburnr New Member

State:
    ohio
  10. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    Carp, bullheads, black perch, bluegills, work for me.

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've had my best luck using live bluegills and sunfish. Try and use a baitfish that's from the system you are fishing. I think the fish you are refering to are in fact creek chubs because they are all over the place in one of my favorite little creeks and in spring the males get big bumps on their heads before spawn. We catch plenty in the 4-9" range and they make great live and cut bait, pretty hardy fish too.

12. wade

wade New Member

State:
    GA.
    I like to use live blue gill and another good bait that I like to use is small bullheads.

13. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    the bluegills are live also the creek chubs had the best luck with the bluegills

14. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I'm a firm believer in Blue Gills and Bullheads, I also want to use big creek chubs and suckers.