baitfish-bluegill-How do you hook them?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by beaneye46, Jan 11, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i use blue gill for bait cause theyre easy to catch and they stay alive a while.
    but what does everyone think is the best way to hook the bluegill.
    i hook them through the lips but have had a lot of misses. what does anyone think?

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    bean
    i hook my gills in the forhead,if im fishing fast water. if im fishing slower current ill hook them just above the anal fin. these are bottom rigs,hope it helped.

3. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    I hook mine thru the back under the "spines". When a catfish takes it, let him have it. Let him run, when he stops, cross his eyes! I had trouble missing cats when using bluegills. I think alot of them was little guys. It almost seems sometimes they "rough" the bait up before eating it. Just my 2 cents.....

4. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I usually hook mine behind the dorsal fin in the small of the back. Is that the wrong way?

5. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Thats how I fish mine. Under the dorsal fin, or the small of the back. I always did this so the bluegill sat there a tried to swim away. Sort of a "wounded" bluegill act. Added some attention to itself.

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    WHAT SCUM said is what cha need to do. IF using a turned hook and hooking the Gills through near dorsel fin THERE IS a right way and a WRONG WAY due to a Flathead taking it head first.

"Join in the pursuit"
    <><Baitkiller><>

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I usualy hook them under the dorsal fin, but have started hooking them through the nose and the front of the eyes through the sockets.

8. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I hook small blue gill just behind the dorsal fin and scrape some of the scales off of 1 side. Bigger blue gills closer to the tail and I'll cut off part of the tail fin.

9. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    I Go Behind The Dorsol Fin Abig Flat Will Inhale A Bluegillthats Why They Have A Big Mouth.

10. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    i always hooked em just in front of the dorsal fin and they worked just fine

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    it really depends on where you are fishing. River or lake. In a lake you can hook them in the tail, mouth or back. But if you are fishing a river in fast current you have to hook them through the tail. Because if you hook them in the mouth the water will rush through the gills and drown the fish

12. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    yeah your right man i got mixed up. See what no flathead fishing for a couple of months has done to me

13. fishn_maniac

fishn_maniac New Member

State:
    Al
    I sometimes hook them through the tail, but i hook em through the mouth for bass.