Baited Bear Hunts - Where is the sport?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Mr.T, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Somebody 'splain sumthin to me...

Where's the sport in setting out a barrel full of bait and shooting a bear when he walks up to eat it?

I've seen several programs on TV lately where the "hunters" climbed a tree not 10 yards from this big barrel full of whatever it is, then were so proud of themselves for killing the bear when he came up to get something to eat.

Either I'm failing to understand something about bear hunting, or this is just a pretty lame way to hunt...

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Its not something I would be proud of.On the other hand,there are a lot of traditions in other areas,so I won't judge others.But its not for me.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    And folks dont plant plots for deer, use such items as doe in estrus, deer cocaine, automatic feeders, trail cameras, rifles, and tree treestands?
    I've seen bow hunters ask the same questions about my rifle hunting and I have have had my thoughts on bow hunting and the ethics even though I used to bow hunt back when nobody had ever heard of a compound bow around here much less seen one.
    It seems the bigger the animal the more people want to change the rules or question rules.

I got one for ya too.
    What is sporting about using a shotgun for squirrel hunting?
    I aint never missed one with a shotgun and have even shot by sound because I couldnt see through the leaves. Never miss them either.

I dont care what anyone uses to bear hunt. Around here some still hunt but most run dogs. Running dogs in itself is another sport entirely in itself.
    Alot of people dont like the dog idea but I challenge anyone to ground hunt with dogs and go up against a 600 pound black bear within 15 yards of the ground you stand on with whatever rifle you choose. I dont care who you are you are going to be quakin and shakin and more then likely miss the close in running shot.

These are animals we hunt. Not people.
    People have different ideas about hunting and what they expect to get out of hunting. To each his own and I dont have a problem with your method as should you not have a problem with my method as long we both are following state and federal laws where each sets precedent. A bear hunter is a bear hunter whether he is a dog runner, baiter, or just a plain stupid one that crawls around through briar patches looking one.
    You run your hunt I'll run mine.

4. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I want to kill a bear like Davy Crockett did. Get up close, eyeball to eyeball with a great big ol' Grizzly Bear.....and grin him to death!LOL

5. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I have to agree with Mark.We set out decoys for ducks ,geese,turkeys,and deer.Use dogs to find birds up close.Use mock scrapes for that buck.It is all relative in game hunting.I would rather have a close shot that would end up with a humane kill,than blast away at a distant target.Remember,only the antis' believe that you can go anywhere in the woods and just pick which animal you want to shoot.Truth is it takes a lot of experiance to know where the game lives.I have spent more time scouting out hunting areas and preparing them than actually hunting.You can put a barrel of food anywhere you want and I will guarantee that you will only see racoons,possums, and turkey vultures if you do'nt do your homework.I'm sure that there was much more work involved in deciding where those barrels went.
    BILL

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Oh boy! Y'all done it now. Got me started on bear! I was stationed 5 years in Montana; shot antelope, whitetails, muleys, elk, and moose, but never got a shot at a bear. A friend and I even baited several spots one year...never even saw a track. Now, I'll admit that it seems like shooting a bear from a stand would not be as much fun as still hunting one, regardless of whether I had baited a spot, or simply knew of some berry bushes where bear frequent. Actually, I need to qualify that a little bit and say that I personally think the most fun would be to find a track somewhere and simply follow it till I came up on the bear and got a shot. That's assuming I'm a good enough tracker to do that, of course. Kind of like assuming that I can sprout wings and fly like a bird. I've never shot from a stand of any kind, so I don't know whether I'd enjoy that or not.

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    One of our customers hunts black bear now and then. Know what he uses for bait, KFC, and dunkin donuts. Not much sport in that, other than going to the nearest chicken or donut shop, of course if it was me the bait would be gone before we got to the spot. Seems like most hunting is baiting and shoot. I have come across plenty of deer as of late and other wildlife on the farm without baiting. Guess they are just curious. Of course I mostly fish and seldom hunt.

8. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Like Mark said, you can go in all directions with this conversation. I've had the bait debate with many people and my answer is this: Bait is not a seed. Bait does not sprout the animal you are trying to attract. Bait guarantees nothing. It may increase the odds of seeing the intended target but the hunter must still have the patience, skill, and experience to make a hunt successful.

If you put bait in the middle of the busiest intersection in your town, will you see bears, deer, ducks? Why not? Animals are not stupid.

Out of curiosity, what do you use to catch catfish or any other kind of fish?

Seems pretty lame to throw out a piece of BAIT and just wait on a fish to come along and eat it....? Is that a fair statement?

Devil's advocate coming out here.....

9. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    It's all about population control, in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where I hid myself out for awhile you had millions of acres of forests and highland swamps to hide in. Bears are for the most part very reclusive and unless you see one crossing a road or baiting, you probably would not even see one. UNTIL, there is an over population or weather conditions creating food shortages. When this happens your likely to find bears visiting your home, tent or whereever they can find food in the middle of the night.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I think the only fair way to bait hunt bears is with "bated breath".Sorry had to say it.ON another note this is the second thread today I've read where KFC chicken is used to bait something.I think I now know why we say "It tastes just like chicken" for crimaney sake its because we are using fried chicken for EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!.The previous thread told how people use KFC bones and skin to catch catfish.Some of you folks using KFC are starting to look a little STOUT and I HAVE read your news years resolutions to lose some weight.Now that aint going to happen if you are lugging a 21 piece bucket out there as "Bait".Have SAL send you some jerky and stick to Shad and Herring and I don't mean the kind in cream sauce.Next thing you know we will be using catfish chunks to catch chickens!!!!!LOL

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't want to say it is wrong but I will say that is not bear hunting. It is bear killing

Danny

12. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    I dont see anything wrong with it. Most of the time, the animals will find food somewhere else besides your bait anyway. I bear hunted one time. I have a black bear that comes and tears down my deer feeder every year. last year he came and tore it down, then went and turned over a dumpster that sits close to my parents house. I never saw the bear again this year, but if it would have been around during season, i would have killed it. As far as baiting deer, it is legal here, and i do use corn as bait. I killed 2 deer this year, and neither were killed over the bait. Bait does tend to get them in the area, but bait doesn't guarantee a kill.

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    To each his own. Like Mark J said people put out bait for deer and use dogs. Ive never ran dogs for anything so I feel like using dogs is cheating. just joking. LOL People use chum for all kinds of fish is this still not fishing? So is everyone supposed to just use spears and recurves for hunting and only sticks and fish bone hooks with yarn so its not so easy to fish. I feel our forefathers and ancestors would have no problem with baiting. If your out to get an animal you do what it takes to get that animal. Not sit behind a tree with rocks and a slingshot and a big spear in case he gets too close. But if someone wants to good for them, and I hope their hunt is a success.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    If it's legal (and it obviously is), then I guess I have no reason to complain. Certainly if there are enough bears around that the population needs to be controlled, then it doesn't matter much how you take them. But it just doesn't seem very sporting to me.

Been watching a number of other shows where they're archery hunting for elk and mulies in Colorado and New Mexico - they hike in, sneak up, bugle a few times and if they're lucky, can get an arrow knocked and get a shot off before the elk disappears into the woods. That's what I consider to be a sporting, fair-chase hunt.

Watched one the other day where the fellow had an elk tag and a bear tag and was set up for elk near a watering hold. This huge brown bear came along right in front of his blind and he couldn't pass up the opportunity. He was an archer and took the bear down with one clean shot. Again, that's a fair way to hunt as far as I'm concerned.

But setting out a bait barrel several weeks or months in advance and then just showing up one day to kill the bear that's been coming there for weeks? Just don't sit right with me.

I certainly don't mean to offend anybody - if that's your style of hunting, then knock yourself out. But I'll pass.

15. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I'm going to risk being wrong but I'm guessing that you don't do much hunting. It may happen like that on TV (as do most of the fishing and hunting shows) but it doesn't happen like that in the real world very often. I promise you they won't show you the three days of sitting and waiting they did before they took the shot. Nor will they show you the three weeks it may have taken them to find the right spot to put the bait. They only show you the kill because that is what the typical person watching hunting shows wants to see. If you wanted to see the real thing, you wouldn't be watching TV.

I'll say it again, bait doesn't guarantee anything. Just because the bait is there doesn't mean that you can show up at any given time and harvest whatever it is you are baiting. If you are a fisherman, you should know that already. Do you catch a fish every time you drop a bait in the water? If you chum a spot, does that guarantee a limit every time you go to that spot?

Will you honestly finish this statement: The difference between using bait to harvest a bear and using bait to lure/harvest a fish is___________ .

You haven't offended me but I think that the hunting experience you witnessed was a good bit more involved than the TV depicted. I sometimes hunt over corn feeders in Louisiana and I can assure you that the deer are not there waiting for me every time I go to them. Does it give me an advantage? Probably. Does it guarantee a deer every time I hunt near one? NO. Am I happy when I've killed a deer that was going to the feeder? You bet! Can you kill deer without bait? Sure. Do you take advantage of any and all other legal advancements to increase the odds of harvesting game? Would you hunt without camouflage, scopes, 4 wheelers, modern firearms, a compass, etc.? When does it become unethical or unsporting? Style is a preference.

Maybe I'm not the most stylish hunter there is. I like to think that I am ethical and responsible. I do not believe that hunting over bait is like fishing in a bucket.

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I feel that hiring a guide and following him and set up where he tells you isnt sporting either. You did nothing but walk there and pull the trigger, not much sport in that. At least with bait you found some trails or tracks, found a good ambush sight and baited it yourself. With a guide you just pull the trigger. I dont even watch hunting shows anymore cause there is nothing sporting about them. They travel to the best places and hunt where someone tells them to. At least it isnt a canned hunt.

17. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Whoever has not lived in a state that allows bear baiting should not comment negatively on something you do not understand or have not done.

Every year in Alaska Anti-hunters try to outlaw more and more from the sportsmen up their bear baiting is always top on the list. it is BS.

I have bear baited and my father still runs a stand in south central Alaska. bear baiting is just as much of a sport as sitting in a stand for a deer. So if you want to bash it, outlaw stands then too. How many people use deer lures/scents? After reading posts on this site most of you do. Bear baiting is no different, well actuall it is.

let me give you some statistics: Alaska 's black bear population is unknown, to Biooligists best guess there are 250,000+ bears in Alaska. that is more then 1 per square mile. Stalk hunts on bears while successful are not done often and not enough are taken.

On my stand in Alaska we have an average of 25-30 black bears per year that come on it. We take 1-3 bears per year depending on how many people we allow to hunt our stand. That is 22-27 bears every year that get fattened up quick in the spring leading to a healthier population in the area..

in addition Alaska game regs for black bear have been changed with bear baiting, before all year long only hide and skull were all that was required on all bear, meat could be left where it lays, now due to a spring bait season all meat must be taken on black bears prior to June 1.

I know several friends who depend on this spring meat to get their families by.

Everyone is entiltled to their own opinion. If you do not agree with a certain style of hunting, THEN DON'T DO IT. If you are talking about something you saw on T.V. and critizing something you know little to nothing about do not do that either. There are PETA sites for that.

18. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX

The area where our stand is in is thick pine trees. Spot and stalk is just not an option in the are, yet the bears have an exploding population. If baiters did not take bear form the area, none would be taken leading to a lower moose population and bears spreading into neighboring towns.

i have never baited a deer. the closest I have come to that is using rattling antlers and a grunt or a doe bleat.

19. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    One thing I forgot to mention previously, baiting for bears also allows for a clean shot while harvesting these bears making for a quick kill while controlling the population. You rarely get that while stalking.

20. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks Brian - probably the most lucid post here explaining the rationale behind baited bear hunts.

No, I'm not a bear hunter. No, I wouldn't hunt a bear over a trap if I *was* a bear hunter. And no, I really *don't* care if you or other hunters choose to hunt that way, as long as it's within the law where you hunt; I'll trust that the state officials are doing their job to conserve the population adequately while providing access to those who wish to hunt.

But I firmly maintain my opinion that it's not a particularly "sporting" way to hunt an animal. Especially for those hunters interested in nothing more than a trophy to hang on the wall, which was the sense I got from the TV programs I've referred to.

Now, for someone who needs the meat or at least will ensure that the meat is given to someone who'll use it, and in those areas where the population is dense enough that bears will become a nuisance if they're not controlled, I'd say I have less of an issue with baited hunting. But I'll still pass on it if anyone ever offers.