Baitclicker or no baitclicker?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bigcatman0001, Apr 14, 2008.

1. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I pretty much stick with abu garcia 6500 reels. I alos use circle hooks and have about the same hook up ratio with the baitclickers on as I do tightline fishing. I was wondering if anyone had a thought on which was better.
    "to use or not to use the baitcklicker that is the question"
    Thanks

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    You can take a nap with the clicker,Thats what I do anyways.

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I never use them I feel like the fish drop the bait more often with them on especially flatheads. If you are using circle hooks using the clickers deffets he purpose of the hook. I take plenty f naps and if the fish is big enough you wil wake up.

4. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    It really depends on your rod angle. I know mine are vertical to the water when in the holders, so it still takes a ton of tension to make the clicker go off. If the rod is flat out with the water, there's less tension from the pole and it could mess up a good hookset. I use it from time to time, especially when the wind is blowing the boat around.

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use mine but I do not use the free spool. I turn them on so If the fish pulls the drag and I dont see it I will hear it.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    No.

I just leave the reels engaged and the fish hook themselves very well - blues and fltaheads.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    MAYBE, occasionally when night fishing. Usually don't though. Don't want to miss a hook up due to lack of tension.
    BB in SC

8. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    if you use circle hooks dont use a clicker they work much better tight lined

9. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    For 15 years I used bait clickers up on the Wabash River (IN). However, since I have started using circle hooks I always leave the reel engaged. My hook-up ratio has greatly increased.

10. They may or may not make a difference, but it sure does get the
    the heart pumping when that reel starts sssscccccrrrreeeeeeaaaaming.
    Kinda similar to catching bass on topwater plugs.

11. CarolinaRig

CarolinaRig New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I keep my clickers on and use zero degree Driftmasters, I use the Octapus Gamakatsu hooks and almost always get the hook in the corner of the mouth!

12. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like bait clickers it lets you know when your getting a bite

13. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks fellas looks like the debat is still up in the air. Guess ?I should just stick to what I am doin now since it seems to work.

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Brad welcome to the BOC, I use baitclickers reels.

15. mf7406

mf7406 New Member

State:
    ga
    i used to use baitclickers all the time, but i don't at all now. i mostly drift fish & when there's several people on board, its easier when they're locked down. the rod that's bent down has the FISH ON !!!!

16. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've always used bait clicks with the free spool. but, since I switched to circles primarily, I realized how many hook-sets I've missed over the years..now if i dont have a rod holder, i anchor the pole somehow. and, keep it locked with the click on..

17. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If I am sitting right by my poles I normally don't use the clilcker, but when my pole is not in sight I use the clicker.

18. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    if you need the clicker , just put you a bell on your rod and the you will know when mr wisker's is there:big_smile: