baitcasting setup for channel cats

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by spokey9, Dec 31, 2007.

1. spokey9

spokey9 New Member

State:
    washington
    the cats around here in washington occasionally get around 20lbs not much bigger. i've been trying to find a good baitcasting reel with a bait clicker that isn't overkill for these cats anybody got any suggestions. i usually run 12 to 14 lb test and do a lot of fishing from shore.

2. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I would get a abu 6500 reel. I have two 7000ic3 with 25 lb line on them, but that my be more reel than you want.

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    You could get an inexpensive tidewater from wally world and a ugly stick cat pole, this is the setup I use. Along with bass pro 25lb line.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have two channel rigs that I use ,both are Berkly big game 7.5 ' rods with Shakesphere SKP 2000 baitcast reels the cost of these was modest at less than 55.00 each at wallyworld.

5. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    You can go to Wallyworld and get Abu 6000 with a pole for 60.00. Pick what line you like and that combo will handle anything you catch..

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would remend a Abu 6000 and 7' foot Ugly Stick Med Action Rod.

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I'd recommend an Abu 6000 with a Shakepeare catfish ugly stik.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well opinions are like butt holes,everyone has one so here it goes.Id go with the ABU 6500c3 with at least 20 # test line,as far as rods go to me it depends on what type of set up and style hook im going to use.so more info you give us the better.:wink:

9. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I love my Abu 6000 combo from WallyWorld. I even love the rod (lightning rod). It costs $60, but it will handle bigger fish very well. Bait clicker isn't too tough. Now I have the 7000 on an ugly stik catfish... I'm still looking for the catfish that is too big for that setup. I hope I'll find him:0a22:

10. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I also have the 7ft.mh uglycat rod but i opted for my penn 10 reel 275yds. #15 mono bearings instead of bushings unlike my penn 9's 4:1.1 ratio and cast very well , as for the rod it will detect the most subtle of bites and handle large fish quite well also . The reel is a matter of preferance but i grew up with penn reels on the gulf of mexico as a child .

11. moriverfish

moriverfish Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I got couple of the shakespear 7' MH rods with garcia 5500, 20# test p-line for dip baits, best setup iv'e found. I like a little stiffer rods for cut bait, I got
    three heavier poles with garcia 6500, 20# p-line for that. The garcias are almost indestrucable and you can get parts if you break them.

12. dr_love2112

dr_love2112 New Member

State:
    texas (liberty)
    i would get a abu 6500 and a ugly stick "lite pro", its a really nice and light but strong set up

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i have a couple 5500's on med heay abu rods. real nice for channel. you can really feel em. i use berkly or stren 20# line on them.

bigger than 20 i have 2 catfish ugly sticks with 6500's. if i can just find em.lol.

14. Littlecat92

Littlecat92 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i would get a penn 9 or an abu 6500

15. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I would go with the Penn 9, 109, or 209, depending on how optimistic you are about catching the big one... The Ugly Stik cat rod will work with any of these reels quite well...

16. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    6500c3-cant go wrong

17. YUKON JACK

YUKON JACK New Member

State:
    WASHINGTON
    i use a abu 6500c with 65 lb braid. i use the big braid because it has a small diameter and you can fit alot of line for the same diameter as what your mono is fitting and you get way more strength. i live in sunnyside wa and fish the columbia all the time. needless to say i don't lose many fish over line breaking. is it over kill, yes but why not if ya can fit it on your spool.

18. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i LOVE my abu 6000 along with a 7ft ugly stik.. 20lb berkley big game has slain many a channel and even some small blues too

19. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I use the ol abu 7000 but, im looking to upgrade to a 10000 this year, throw that on a m/h or h ugly stick and you got a winning combo !:wink:

20. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    zebco 733 on a quantam 7 bass graphite:smile2: pole with 20 lb bass pro line for me works very well