BaitCasting Reels vs Spinning Reels, which do you prefer for Catfishing

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by beaneye46, Jan 10, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    what does everyone prefer when it comes to your reel. I have a baitcast w/ clicker which is pretty sweet. but i was looking at the spinners w/ baitrunners. what does everybody prefer?

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Personally I love Baitcasters. "Clickers" to be exact. Although they all have their uses. Just like all other gear does.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have spinning and baitcasting. i use spinning mainly in lakes with long "euro-stlye" carp poles when banking for channels. also have some 8 footers when boating for channels in lakes. rest of my fishing is with baitcasters.

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I prefer to catfish with baitcasters. i'm just more comfortable with a bait caster then with a spinning reel

5. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    It's to each his own opinion and what your use to using. I have some closed face spinning reels and my baitcasters. I grew up using baitcasters from the beginning so feel right at home with them. So for me, if I could only have one kind it would have to be my abu's, love em. They have came along way in the last fifty years, can't believe how much all reels have inproved.

6. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have both bait casters and spinning bait runners . I seldom use the bait casters.I have my spinning reels on rods from 7ft to 15ft.

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I dont have any of the baitrunners so I cant comment on them. But generally I like my baitcasters with clickers for catfish. Spinning reels for bait and maybe smaller cats like channels. If you get the right setup I dont think it matters between them. I like to use my spinning reels for finesse fishing and the baitcasters for ripping lips.

8. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i use both. some say the drag is more reliable on baitcasters than it is on spinning gear but i dont know about that. i have caught some massive fish on my okuma bait runner spinning reel with no problems. i will have to say i use bait casters catfishing most of the time but i am going to buy a couple big spinning reels and put them on some 12 foot rods so i can get more distance shore fishing. spinning reels will outcast bait casters.

9. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I use both. Depends on how I am fishing. Spinning for smaller cats and bait caster for bigger cats. No reason just like it that way.

10. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Hey Dafin, want to get rid of those idle baitcasters??

11. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am comfortable with both, and use both. I prefer baitcasters for drifting and use both when anchored.

12. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Being a packrat I never was much for getting rid of anything. The bait casters are all over 30yrs old. they are mostly abus .

13. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Same here Dafin, I'm also a packrat...lol

14. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I love using baitcasters for cats and spinning reels for my crappie and bluegill on my ultra light.

15. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    As far as loosing a big fish with spinning reels i think it would be because of operators error. The ark. record was caught on a spinning reel and wieghed in at 116 pounds. Its more personal preference i think.

Mine is baitcasters. As i've used them about all my life. Every baitcaster i've had has its own good features. The 6000's and 6500's will wrestle anything out there i think. I recently aquired a penn 209 and am absolutely impressed with it so far. The big game handle don't wear you out reelin in those 12 or 16 ounce sinkers all day. It made a 16 pounder feel like a two or three pounder reelin it in heavy current. Also aquired a 7000 but have yet to put that bad boy through the ringer, but its a comin. LOL

16. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    I have both and still use both. Never had a problem using either, except when i was learning to throw the baitcasters

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught alot of nice flatheads on spinning reels in years past..For some reason appx 6 years ago I felt the need to start using baitcasters..I love the looks and the smoothness of the ABU baitcasters, and the shear power of the penn baitcasters...All I use for cats now is baitcasters, but I am sure I could catch just as many fish with quality spinning tackle.

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Flathunter,

Go buy a bunch of Shimano Baitrunners & Give Me All Of Your Abu's then!!!!!! :)

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mellon it would not help, you would still get skunked!

20. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I have both as well! I will mostly use Spinning for Freshwater and Baitcasters for Saltwater situations. It is not a matter of which is better, but what works best for you. I have caught all of my Wels catfish on Spinning reels and have seen others do the same with Baitcasters and we landed our fish without problems.

HOPPY4