Baitcasting Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catchinghogs, Feb 19, 2006.

1. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Some info if anyone can help I am looking to purchase a baitcasting reel this year and want to use it for catfishing but I also want to use it to flip big lures for muskie any suggestions. Thank you

2. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    I got my first baitcaster for V-Day. An Abu 5000, Griz told me it a great reel to learn on. My next one will be a Penn 310 GTI. Can't help you too much on the details, as I'm just learning myself, but I have been given a plethora of information and advice here.

PS, this reel is paired with a 7' Berkley Lightning Rod, and will be my primary cat rod until I get the Penn (with an 8' Ugly Stik). I will use the Abu for walleye fishing as well. I hope to have the Penn setup in time for our PA gathering.

3. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Do a search here on the board for abu 6500c3 , great reel and the price ain't bad either. Penn reels are very nice also.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Course everyone has a favorite. I started with baitcasing reels back in the 50's. The one I remember the most was a "red river" reel. It had a gadget in front of the level wind which was supposed to prevent backlashes (it either did not do as advertised, or I was very, very good in those days). I bought my very first Abu Garcia in 1963 for $15.00. I still fish with it today. But my favorite baitcasting reel is still the Abu Garcia line. I prefer the Abu Garcia 6000 and 6500 series for general catfishing. The 5500 series for bass. If I am after the big boys, I prefer the Abu Garcia Big Game model 7000 with the High Speed Retrieve. But I know, deep in my heart, that it is not the equipment which makes me a better fisherman, but the patience and understanding I have developed over the years. Still, I prefer Abu.

5. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    I also agree with the 6500 c3 i bought it for bass fishing but soon realized you had to have some huge lures on it to get it to cast. Then when i got on here i realized it is a catfish reel. But since you are wanting a reel for muskey and other big fish but also a reel for catfishing go with it. I bought mine new for 75$ but you can get them on Ebay or in the ad section right now for around 35$. Learn how to stop bird nests and you will be fine. Learn how to set it(brake) and you will never have problems.

Needless to say i no longer have a bass fishing reel it is now going to be a catfish reeling son a gun.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You cant go wrong w/ a 6500c3. Bearings not bushing like a 6000. I've told this story before, but an Abu rep once told me that the 6500c3 were made to withstand casting large Muskie baits all day long.

7. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    was looking for a little more help from anyone am going to go with the6501 c3 model found another on ebay 6601c3 does anyone know ythe difference in these reels .

8. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX

They are basically the same reel. The only difference is the 6501C3 is a push button release free spool and the 6601C3 is a thumb bar release. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone. These are both left hand reels. The #1 indicates left hand on all ABU reels. Personally I like the push button over the thumb bar, but that's JMHO.

Frank

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Go with the 6500 c3. Even better one of the "trophy class" 6500's. I have a TCM, "trophy class muskie". All I use it for now is flathead fishing. But it will cast crankbaits easily on 20lb mono. The TC reels are a bit more expensive than a regular 6500, I think they have one more bearing and weigh a little more. I sent you a PM check it out.

10. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i personnally like the quantum tournament series rod and reel combo from walmart for about 70$ and another good reel is the shimano citica very smooth and reliable

11. BlueZeus

BlueZeus New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm curious to know if anyone can inform me about the quality of Abu Garcia baitcast reels on Ebay for buy it now price of $35-45 range. The reels are listed as 6000 and are red. Are these reels worth the money. I looked at Abu' website and 6000 are not listed. I was wandering if the 6000 was simply discontinued ? I see a sustantial price difference between the 6000 and 6600/6500 series is the differences other than price worth considering. Thanks to all in the BOC:)