Baitcasting Help

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tnkatman, Nov 28, 2005.

1. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Can Anyone Give Me Some Tips On Casting A Baitcaster Reel ? I Have An Abu Ambass. 6000 That I Just Got. I Was Casting It Today & I Kept Backlashing It & It Would Only Cast A Little Ways, Then It Would Stop Abruptly & Backlash, When I Would Us Alot Of Weight I Could Cast It Alot Better & Farther W/little If Any Backlash. Can Anyone Tell Me What I'm Doing Wrong Or How I Can Have A Smoother Cast With A Small Amt. Of Weight. Please Let Me Know What Your Technique For Casting Is . Thanks

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Couple of questions, do you have a manual? what is a small amount of weight? pound test line and kind ( mono or braided )? length of rod and action? Well how about a few questions.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    u need to adjust the brake!

4. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    tighten the brake,hold the rod out,push the release button,then back off the brake till the spool starts turning .This is just a rule of thumb to adjust your brake to the amount of weight you're casting.

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I never use less than 2-oz's of weight when I am using a baitcaster, the reel does have a manual break on the left side of the spool where you can tighten it down to put more pressure on the spool, theis will decrease backlashes, but will hinder casting distance..I always have mine set very light, I used to backlash, but after years of practice I have it down to an art..Make sure you stop the spool with your thumb just as the bait hits the water..I usually have my thumb on the spool while casting and start to apply light pressure when the bait nears the water.