baitcasters

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by armyfisher, Oct 14, 2008.

1. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    well for starters i'll admit i cant use a baitcaster to save my life, and i would like to know how. I've used spinning reels since i got my first rod n reel when i was six, an old shakespeare graphite spining set. well my father-in-law gave me an older model abu garcia 5500 serise if i'm correct baitcaster, and everytime i try using it i bird nest the dang thing. i just bought a new shakespeare baitcaster and would like yalls help on how to make it to where it wont birdnest or tips on how not to. i never try to just chuck it out there i normally just do a side throw lightly and it'll birdnest up. i set the drag to high and the bait comes right off trying to cast out. i know most catmen use baitcasters because they have more tourqe. if yall brothers can help me out here it would be greatly appreciated. thanks brothers.:big_smile:

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i cant use them 2 good either i use spinning all my life to god bless all of yall

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    there is alot of threads on learning how to cast a baitcaster basically the knob you want to tighten is the cap under the handle not the drag. a tighter knob and alot of weight 3-5oz no bait in the back yard is the place to start. if you leave your thumb on the spool but lighten the pressure your thumb has on the spool that will help. pretty mutch pratice with your thumb on the spool then youll start to tell hen you need it.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Branden,you beat me to it.:big_smile:

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Beat me to it too! Correct info, Brandon!
    Bill in SC

6. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I was like you I used spinning reels (open face) all my life. My son got me started on baitcasters a little over 12 years ago. I learned how to cast them by watching other people cast them, and alot of practice. I found the abu garcias really forgiving. The key is not to try and throw it as far as you can when you are first learning to cast. Set your break, the little silver knob on the same side as the handle. You set that so that the weight has steady drop to the floor without back lashing when you push the button. You will not be able to throw it that far at first, but as you get better and gain confidence you will be able to back off the brake and get distance. The other thing is using your thumb as a brake, you want to stop the spool from spinning just before it hits the water. The best advice I can give you is practice, practice, practice.

7. HUSKER77

HUSKER77 New Member

State:
    IRVING, TX
    I have been using spinning reels my whole life as well. I went out on a limb and purchased my first baitcaster(ABU 6500) about a month ago and I love this new reel. Ihave not backlashed one time. I made sure to adjust the brake system with the weight I was using at the time, and never had a problem. I think you will enjoy the baitcasting reel just as much as your spinning reels. I know I do.

I'm running 65lb. PowerPro braid on a 7' Ugly Stick and have not run into probs.

Good Luck!!!

8. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    The guys have given some great advice as far as using the thumb and adjustment on the reel. Another thing to try is throw with a FLOW instead of whipping the rod. I hope that made since!

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Be SURE to apply MORE thumb pressure, as a brake, as soon as the bait hits the water so the spool doesn't keep spinning resulting in a bird's nest. As the weight sinks, especially if you are in current, you can ease up on your thumb slightly so as to let line out to the desired distance or depth. I would also suggest at least a 3 or 4 ounce weight as they throw pretty easy. Good luck. They are easy, and you'll never look back when you get the hang of it. I was lucky. I'm 54 now, but my dad taught me when I was old enough to hold a baitcaster. I took a heap of scoldings when I would make a bad cast, but it made me more determined to get it right. :wink:
    Bill in SC