Baitcasters

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by goingfishin, Dec 23, 2007.

1. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I am going to buy a bait caster this winter and am needing some advice. On all the reels I have looked at they all say that the line compasity is for 20# @ 175 yards. Does this mean that I cannot put any heavier line on it or I just wont get but 90 yards of 30# on it. Am I even looking at the right reels?:eek:oooh:

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    20 lb test line really all you need, unless you wont to go braided line.

3. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I'm only familiar with the Abu Garcia's. I use 6500 and 7000 size reels. I run up to 20 lb. test mono on the 6500's and 30 lb. test mono on the 7000's. I'm sure there is a lot more than 90 yds. of 30 lb. line on the 7000 series reels. 6500 series reel are sized towards 12-20 lb. line. I'm sure people use heavier on them, but for the best casting, that is about the maximum diameter of line the reel will throw far. 7000's also throw better with smaller diameter line, but 30 lb. test is not a chore for them.
    CJ is right about using braid. I use braid on some of my 6500's and 7000's. I buy Power Pro 50 lb. test. It is the same diameter as 12 lb. mono. I get a lot of braided line on a reel.
    Mono or braid, you will get plenty of 30 lb. line on the 7000 series.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You can put heavier line on those reels they just wont hold as much..20-lb test will land you a mighty big fish, I caught two flatheads this year over 40-lbs on 20-lb test.

5. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Clifton,
    I have four of the Garcia 6000 reels spooled with 50 pound mono line. Certain brands of mono are smaller in diameter than others. You can use as big as test line as you want(within reason) you will just get less on the spool. These guys are right, you can land a big fish on 20 pound line. I personally like the peace of mind of having the bigger line when that hog comes along. Also the 20 pound line will knick easier, causing weak spots that could easily break off when reeling in a fish. If you go with the 20 pound line, check it regular for knicks and small cuts. rspd507

6. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I fish alot of tournament and want the peace of mind. When there is a big fish plus money on the line I want to be sure I will get the fish in the boat.:big_smile:

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    It will depend a lot on the type of fishing you are doing. If distance is not a problem go with a 6000 or 6500 size reel. You can spool it with 30 lb. mono but i wouldn't recomend going any higher. I use 30 lb. on some of my 6000 and 6500 reels and it will hold plenty of line. I also run 65 lb. power pro on my tournament reels of the same size and with a little bit of 30 lb. mono as backing they will hold 150 yards of 65 lb. power pro. Mount them on a 7 or 8 ft. rod. I have mine mounted on 8 footers and get plenty of distance from the boat.

If you are after distance step up to an abu 7000 or bigger. Then you can also step up your mono line size to 40 lb. or larger. Mount it on a 10 to 14 ft. rod and you will be able to sling it a long way. I have 2 7000's and 1 9000. Both are mounted on 14 ft. fenwick poles and are spooled with 40 lb. mono. I use these for bank fishing when the bank is open enough to allow you room to cast.

Just remember to get what suits your type of fishing and you will be happy with your new equipment.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if you want more cap. get a bigger reel their are plenty of larger cap. reels pflueger contender G30, penn 320gt2, abu 7,8,9,10000 ect.

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I would say if you are fishing lakes, a good quality reel with a 20# @ 175yds (Abu Garcia 6500) size reel will be fine. If You plan on getting into Some current on say the Kansas or Missouri River You'll need to go with a larger higher capacity reel like an Abu Garcia 7000 series.

What part of Kansas are You in? We have tournaments in KC that start in March We would love to see You come and fish with Us! check the link below!

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well if you like ABU reels like i do and want more line capacity i agree with some of the others with going with the 7000,i have a couple and like them real well.Cant seem to cast them as far as my 6500c3 reels though,but i sometimes have trouble adjust two knobs on the 7000 where as the 6500c3 has only one to mess with.You wouldnt be disappointed with either one,i like them both for different reasons and fishing set ups so i ended up buying two of each.

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    It all depends on what kind of fishing you plan on. 40+ blues and flats in a river you should use at leats 40lb mono. That means an ABU 7000 size reel. On my 7000's I use 80lb power pro. If you want to fish in a lake and use 20lb test mono and cast a mile then get a 6500 series. You say you have big fish in your water, My take on that is to, gear toward the largest fish you are likely to encounter. You will be so mad if you have a 6500 and 20lb mono when a 70 or 80lb river fish takes your bait and snaps your line. Why take a chance? just go big and feel secure in the knowledge that you can catch anything that swims unless its a new world record, then you better have some skills too LOL.

12. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Brad, I was planning on fishing at least a few of your tournaments this year. I live in Topeka and am going to try to make it up to your neck of the woods a few times this winter.:big_smile:

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I would go with the 7000's or if you want another reel other then abu's. Go with Shimano tekota 600 it's about the same size as a 7000 abu but man is it smooth.

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have been interested in rods & reels and talked to manufactures and their representatives when ever I could for 50 years.They all agreed on certain things.They were for rods and reels-

The reel is rated for the line strength or line diameter that it was DESIGNED and BUILT to operate best with & at the maxi mun stated with the reel,and with the drag set for 2/3rds of such.This means drag,gearing,level wind mechanisms and materials.We all put what we want on them and do as we please which often hurts nothing unless we exceed the limits on the reels Stated maximum."100 lb.line on a 20 lb.reel will not cast,reel in or handle as good as the 20"."It may damage a level wind built for a smaller and more flexible line"."The drag,gearing,and gears are not designed to withstand such and will not hold up if used wrongly".If a brand of line is specified,this is the line the reel was made to use and normally works well with.This goes for rods and the hardware as well.

Remember what your rod and reels limits are and you can use what you want with the least amount of damage,wear or problems.

I often used 60-80 lb. Hard,stiff mono because of abrasion and cutting when fishing saltwater pilings,reefs,jetties and shell but kept my drag set at 14 & 20 lbs.on reels rated for 20 & 30 lbs.This is still bad on spinning reel bails and level winds,but keeps your gears from stripping and bearings and shafts from damage.The reason for such is that you are going to get cuts and such.You can have your line cut 1/2-3/4 of the way through and not break with a 14-20 lb.drag.

I love you brothers and sisters.peewee

15. Fellman

Fellman New Member

State:
    Philly MYK
    You have to start thinking outside of the normal when it comes to getting more line capacity. If you are looking for more line - reverse the process of mono backing to baid to 150yds of 30 to 50pd sufix braid to mono. Do a clinch knot on the reel to start and give it a dab of superglue, when that dries wrap 1 or 2 more times and give it another dab for reasurance. Remember to spool it real tight. when you are done with the 150 yards worth of braid you now have the ability to connect that to the 30 or 40pd mono (I suggest suffix superior). Connect the braid to mono with uni knots (when doing that make sure you test that knot to make sure it is working properly). Now after all that, you have for example you have plenty of abrasion resistance mono with the ability to be spooled a football field with out a running out of line. I hope this can help you and others.

Fellman

16. tigman

tigman New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Pflueger also has a G15. I got one for Christmasand think I am going to buy 2 more. The reel is a trolling reel but is built very solid.

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    im glad to see more people talking about the contenders (not just penns and abus) they are super smooth and super strong reels. they are the greatest reel for the money that i have used & probally the best that iv used for any price.