Baitcasters looking to buy and on a budget

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by archer1914, Jun 1, 2007.

1. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I seen a shakespeare at wal-mart for 34$ and a local shop has I think it is a king maxx for 35$ and some okuma's with liveliners for 50$ and 60$ (the okuma's are spinning) not sure about any of them would love to get the abu's but 90$ for a reel is not smart for me right now any help out there I live in West Virginia any one know of any good deals?

2. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Oh and by the way thanks for any help

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Try an Abu 6000 for about $50-$60.I've had 2 for several years and still do great!!! Well worth more than the Shakespeare!!!

4. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    You can always go with a penn 209 of ebay for about 20 bucks shipped.

5. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    i have two of the shakspear tidewater 30lb's and they are amazing for the money. they might not have as good of a drag system as an abu but they let the line out (if you set your drag right) very very well, and if you hook a fish that is going to run 330 yards of 20# test off your reel then your not going to bring him up with any thing short of your truck and a wench lol. hope this helped you.

6. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have 2 tidewaters and they are crapping out on me after just a few weeks use.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U can always get a Abu 6000 or 6500 off E-bay.

8. shepdog

shepdog New Member

State:
    Sherwood, Ar
    I have 2 tidewaters 30s that I bought years ago and they are still working as well today as the day I bought them. I also bought 2 pen 309s off e-bay for about $40 with shipping each. I can't tell you wich way to go you have to make the choice for yourself but I love my tidewaters for the price. Hope this helps.

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I've gotten 2 ABU 6000 reels off e-bay, new in the package. One for 44.50 shipped and one for 41.00 shipped. Made in Sweden units, Hagan endorsed. Don't think ya can do better. If ya just got ta have it now, WallyWonderWorld has em here for 59.99 plust tax. Fact is got another on the way, gonna keep it in the package for a spare, case they start making em all in China.
    :big_smile:

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you don't need to make long casts, the Penn 209 is a great inexpensive choice, and the reels are very tough. As mentioned above, you can get them off ebay very cheap. If you want to spend a little more money for a reel that will cast better than the 209, go for a Penn 320GTi or 320GT2. As near as I can determine, those are the same reel, they just gave it a new model number. With some persistence, you can get one off ebay for $40-$45.

11. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    PATC50 Catfish/Striper Baitcast Reel
    *Long Lasting Heavy Duty
    *Instant Anti-Reverse
    *Loudest Bait Clicker on the market
    *4 Stainless Steel Ball Bearings
    *Fast Gear Ratio: 5.2:1
    *Rigid Chrome-Plated Brass Frame
    *Anodized Aluminum Side Plates
    *Machined Aluminum Spool Anodized
    *Smooth Main Gear Applied Star Drag System
    *Heavy Duty On/Off Metal Bait Clicker and Metal
    Bait Clicker Switch
    *Dual Centrifugal and Mechanical Brake System
    *Line Capacity 16lbs/200yrds 20lbs/160Yrds
    PATC50 $55

:big_smile::big_smile: Replaced my Abu's with These. Got a couple buddies that switched to them as well

12. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    You can get the Penn 220 gto from Cabellas online right now for 54.00.. I bought 2 of them and they are everything that everybody says they are.. I won't buy anything else from now on..

13. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    hey I was wondering where do you get these at?

14. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    What is catstock never heard of it?

15. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i use shakespeare skp reels and also tide water reels i can outcast most people that have abu's andi also use bass pro mega cast round baitcasters i can tune the bait clicker on eitherr of these reels so them make different tones thatway when im fishing i know which reel iput where by the sound. and im also using like 10 rods at a time so i can spend like 200-300 on reels for them or i would spend about 700 on abus for them.

i have never had any major problems with my shakespeares but i have last time i had an abu

16. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Not sure if I can post the web address or not. So Just do a yahoo search on ProAngler Tackle

17. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    i just bought a abu 5000 on ebay for 20bucks its an older model but they still can haul. also the penn 209 as well as the 309 are excellent reels. i suggest if u are just starting out and not wantin to spend alot try a less expensensive one like john is talkin about the abu6000 is ideal adn not breaking the bank, then if u like them work your way up to the nicer ones. i preferebly use a 209 penn that i bought for 5dollars at a rummage and its over 40yrs old and still can haul them in no problem.

18. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    check into what other members are selling..might find a deal there. i use the skp2000's from walmrt..i actually like them i have 2...also ebay you can catch the new marathon 6500 and the 7000.there abu knock offs. i have 1 of each and they work great also.

19. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    A new 6500 C3 runs cheap still.

Google up this discount place if you want some nice prices.

Fish 24/7