Baitcasters for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Catmaster, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I am going to go to town tonight to buy a new baitcast reel. What does everyone recomend to hold giant cats?

2. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I would reccomend the penn 330 gti. A friend recently purchased one and It cast great, Has the clicker and seems like you could pull stumps with it. I plan on purchaseing on for my self soon.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Abu Garcia 7000, Penn 320 GT2, Penn 310 GTI.

4. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I agree with Roger. I have the Penn 330 Gti and I love it. Casts great, and is very smooth. I had to Penn 340 Gti, but it was too heavy for my liking. The only bad thing about the 330gti is the is no tension unlike the 320.

5. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If thats the river your fishing on your Avitar a ABG 6500 will do good. Cause if its like the river im fishing ( which looks about the same size) a 40lb. Flathead is rare and a 6500 will hold up. But like the other guys the penn's are good and the 7000's are good

6. DaveR

DaveR New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'm an Abu guy so I'd recommend a 7000 for monsters.

Dave

7. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    in my opinion get the best you can afford, If you may go up against some hawgs and can afford a bigger reel get it....i myself prefer Abu 7000's on 7'0" ugly cat rod with 50 lb mono...
    Good Luck,
    Mike

8. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    ABU 7000C, Penn 310 GTI, Jigmaster

9. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    on Easter i caught 70lb flat head from heavy current using a quantum iroc 320 and it worked fine. I also have a abu 7000 but my iroc is my favorite.

10. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I like the 309 penn and 320 gti both good reels and has anyone gone to ebay and got any off there. I see alot of penn going cheap and look good. well good luck to all

11. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I use a Penn 209M or an Abu Garcia 10000BG. alot of people chose to stick with the 7000, certainly a tough reel, but I figured might as well lay down another bill and get the big daddy. With it matched to my 7'0' Tiger Stick I will fear no freshwater fish.

12. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I would go w/ the abu 6500.

13. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    My Penn reels get spanked all year and just take it. My Ambassadeur reel is as tuff as they come, I like it best. I purchased a CZH60 bait caster (dark blue) today 4-2:1 gears and weights in at 370g. I hope it will be as good as advertised. I spool all my reels with 40-50lb. Big Game line. Ugly Stick makes a good rod that helps keep the pressure on your fish and not your arms that is reasonably priced. Get what ever you can afford and get busy.
    Don

To the world you may be just a person, but to a person you may be the world.

14. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    If your planning to catch a big one dont go to small i have and use abu 7000s which work great took a flat with it in 2004 that went 71#worked great, also have 2 penn 320 gti and like them also. about 4 years ago i also bought a abu 7700 morrum, to date i only cought a 32# on it hopefuly some day ill see if it was worth the $350.00 i paid for it.Bigcatman0816.

15. Justin

Justin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would go with the Abu 6500C3. Ours take a beatin' year after year and still work!:confused: Their definitely tough as advertised. :0a1:

16. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have been using my roomates Penn 330 gti reel mounted on a Penn Senator 7 ft trolling rod. Very heavy, almost to a point of inconvienience, feels like a winch. I also don't like the lack of tension it has either. I guess a different rod would make a difference, or actually catching something on it, other than big turtles.

17. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I have a quantum iroc 320 I been using for a good 7 or 8 years. When i first got it I took it apart just to look, I/m curious that way. How ever I have not even cleaned it since then. I guess i need to. Anyway I use it a lot and it is just a GREAT reel. On easter I caught a sixty or seventy pund flattie in heavy current on the mississippi and it worked great.

I also have a abu 7000 I havn/t hook any big fish on it but when I do I/m sure it will work great too. However the quantum is my favorite simply for the ease of use. Its smooth, cast great,I like the controls better and it pulls in monsters great.

18. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    In the past I have owned Abu reels and currently have several Penn models both are great just what you feel comfortable with. The rod should feel very comfortable as well

19. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Penn 320 GT2 or Abu 7000.

20. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    WHAT? no ZEBCOS lol just kidding abu/ penn altho i do have a rino an a eagle claw that work great:)