Baitcasters for carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by countrycat15, Sep 19, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hay yall i was just wondering if any of yall use baitcasters to chase carp,if so what kind and what other gear(rods,reels,line,etc.) do yall use to go after this great sport fish. i use 2 abu 6000's on berkley lightning rods,with trilene xt 17 pound test and #6-8 wide bend hooks an j hooks in the same size. also if what kind of bait do yall use.i use millit(cinnimin,strawberry,peach,chocolate,plain).

2. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    That sounds like excellent equipment and bait. I really like to use sweetcorn or field corn that has been soaked overnight or boiled a bit to soften it. Strawberry jello makes a great doughbait that will catch carp and channels! Do you use a hair rig for holding the bait? It is by far the best way to catch carp. There is an organization called "carp anglers group" that will show how to tie the "hair rig" and other good techniques. They are great people and very technical, but not as wide ranging or tolerant as this group. I like a 9 or 10' rod with soft tip for carp and I like to use a float in calm water for soft bites. Use the corn and there is a shop in Chicago called Wacker Baits that has a fantactic inventory of Italian flavored corn (chocolate, strawberry, etc). Wackerbaits.com should find him (Paul is a really great guy and very honorable). Good luck! Hannibal Mike

3. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    thanks man,i have tried the hair rig but have found that it has not improved my hookup rate.i have also been on the cag website but i relly dont find much intrest in it as i mostley fish payponds and use packbaits.

4. noeran

noeran New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Kenny,
    I tried shooting you a pm but your box is full and will not accept any more.

I visted your area and went to cross just to see the place, did not care for it that much. Really liked Bethnay though. Maybe we meet someday.
    Have you been to midway? Bethnay is the closest place I can locate from columbia. Would you know of anything closer?

I use the old faithful zebco 808, with ugly sticks medium action and shakespear medium/hvy action.
    I use rice mainly, but am trying other ideas / things to see how they soak off.

5. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    hey man,i use to 5000s on rhino indestructible rods and the kind of bait i use is mostly strawberry,cinnamon,grape...well hope this helps you out.

6. mashunter18

mashunter18 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah the abu 6000's are great reels, love them. For carp bait I use a mix of wheaties, honey, peanut butter...etc.......works good...

7. Big Merc

Big Merc New Member

State:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    I've never fished for carp before, but I want too...I saw a good size in a lake local to me, I know they are in there, but don't really have a clue, what bait to use...any ideas?

8. kenkinser

kenkinser New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yea baitcasters work well i fish on a dock usally for crappie, but have started putting a baitcaster out with corn or dough baits for channels and carp i use my ambassuars with 6 1/2 rods i bass fish with