Baitcasters,breaks or no breaks..?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Bluebruiser@Jmestwn, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Bluebruiser@Jmestwn

Bluebruiser@Jmestwn New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I do alot of shore fishing,and casting from shore you really need all the distance you can get.Some people leave 1or2 of four breaks that come in the reel..I throw without any breaks and the reel really lets the line fly,no resistance..But when i get other friends of mine to try to throw with no breaks,the reel really gets away from them,or a zing pow episode.Just wondering what other peoples prefrence was..Of course if casting by way of boat the distance and extra friction does not matter as much....What do you think?

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    They may not have their reel set correctly anyway....It takes technique to fish at the Dams needing 80-100yrd casts consistentlly...Depends on their rigging too....Longer leader more resistence...bigger bait more resistance...When i used to bank fish all the brakes came out of my 7000'0s & 7700's..With big poles i used 14ft Fenwicks ya gotta let the end of the rod do the work for ya..Line is also an issue cheap ass line makes it harder....Lots of factors...beginners NEED brakes !!lol

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the USCA/BOC.

I take the brakes out of all my casting reels and loosen the spool up. I want as much distance as I can get in some places. I burn my thumb once in a while trying to stop it, but not very often.

4. Bluebruiser@Jmestwn

State:
    Virginia
    Definitly rigging and line..I throw 6 or 8 oz. weights,25 to 30 lb test{good line, line memory causes friction too}My leader is between 5 and 8in. long.And ill back you,throwing all that and a half a cutter is not gonna go far..I prefer to throw half of a 6 to 8in. shad.....My first casting reel was a 7000,with th breaks and level wind taken off..She would go the distance,but 3yrs ago i bought a Daiwa x30sha,with afree floating spool,this reel on a 11ft Tica..when casting the spool dislocates from everything and floats on ball bearings...80 to 100 yrds easy..

5. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    No brakes needed...just a light touch. Usually when I try to overpower a cast is when I get in trouble...a nice steady swing of the rod gets the job done nicely.

6. Bluebruiser@Jmestwn

State:
    Virginia
    Iv noticed that like Bomberman said,You dont have to kill it ..Longer casting rods are built to load.Load the rod and cast up n out,no line drives..I have to go catch bait about to hang a biggun,fishing till late tonight.