Baitcasters and Levelwinds. What is the Difference?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfish1516, Aug 15, 2006.

1. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
    I am confused, what is the difference between baitcasters and levelwinds, do the levelwinds cast or troll or what. I fish from the bank and want to know if these reels will go the distance(casting).

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The level wind guides the line back onto your spool evenly. the other you have to do yourself with your finger. sorry miss read your question please see next statment

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

To me they are the same it just depends on salt are fresh water.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Baitcasters are the only reels that have levelwinds. Some baitcasters don't have them at all.

Baitcaster - is a reel

Levelwind- is a part of a reel (Baitcaster)

I hope this clears things up for you.

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    What he said! Years ago a reel company had a model called the Level wind because they had just come out with the device that spreads the line out on the spool as you reel.

6. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
    so it does cast good (far)

7. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    If your main interest is distance you might prefer a spin cast outfit, if its real important to you, you might want to check into a surf casting outfit.

8. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    I fear that even though the info you are getting is good and correct that it will confuse more than inform you.

Your question seems to be about the casting distance of a casting reel. The casting reel is a reel type just like the spin-cast and spinning reel. Here I will talk about only casting reels.

There are several types of casting reels. Some come with level wind and some do not. Some are designed for low vibration and low friction giving you a long distance casting reel. Others are design more for use off a dock or from a boat where you may make a short cast but mainly you just let the line sink to the bottom. Some are better used for trolling.

To answer your question about how far can you cast with a casting reel I would say that when you learn to cast and you get the correct reel you should be able to cast as far from the bank as you want. Unless there has been a change I have not heard about, World Distance Casting Records are held by those throwing casting reels. Spin-cast and spinning reels can't match the casting reel on Very, very long casts.

Several things go into how far from shore you can cast. The reel is only one of them. Distance is also a function of the rod length, rod stiffness, rod taper, line test weighty, line material, sinker size, bait size, equipment condition and most of all how good you are at casting.

I think it would be an interesting thread to talk about what we have found to get more distance on our casts.

One other comment. I have kind of given up casting long distances out into lakes or ponds. I am beginning to understand that catfish tend to swim fairly close to shore looking for food. That seems to be where they can find the worms, minnows small fish etc. At least that has been my luck lately.